Pendant lighting - distance from counter edge

pjhorstDecember 29, 2009

Seems like most of the pendant location questions are height related. Any thoughts on distance from the edge of the counter? Or do you just center them in the space available?

For example, I have a 10' x 4', 1 level kitchen island looking out into our great room. 16" overhang for knees/legs on 1 side. It's 23" from that counter edge to faucet (sink is in island). So essentially a 10' x 2' eating/sitting/serving surface. The pendant electrical fixtures were roughed in prior to our finalizing our location and size of the island. The center of our pendants hang 6 inches in from the counter edge. From a distance it looks fine but feels a tad awkward if you are standing directly next to the counter as you get a face full of pendant. So for us, should have been centered at ~12" from edge?

Thanks for the advice/replies.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

"The pendant electrical fixtures were roughed in prior to our finalizing our location and size of the island."

Better luck next time. I never use pendant lighting because someone always moves the island or makes it the wrong size. I also don't like lighting hanging in front of my face.

You could remove the offending pendants and install some remodel type recessed pin spots.

Bookmark   December 29, 2009 at 10:21PM
charcoaldabs

"You could remove the offending pendants and install some remodel type recessed pin spots."

That's actually a terrible idea. Do not install pinspots in your kitchen. Everyone will laugh at you.

Try halogen WFL MR16s instead.

Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 6:40PM
midwifekim

swags?

Bookmark   January 24, 2010 at 2:19AM
More Discussions
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™