UCL- fixture lengths, maxlite, Philips, etc..?

yellowstonebanksDecember 27, 2012

I'm trying to decide on ucl lighting for a small remodeled kitchen. After reading posts here I have focused on Philips powercore profile and maxlite fixtures. The Philips seems to be highly recommened but the lengths available don't match my cabinets well.

3 of the cabinets are about 30" wide, measuring about 28" of available space due to the sides extending down. That means one 19" Philips fixture or two 12" Maxlites. Given the extra 5" of length with Maxlites would I be better off with them? What features of the Philips are superior and would those features outweigh the shorter length?

I also need to choose color temmperature, 3000 or 4000 for Philips / 2700 or 5000 for maxlites - anyone have comments on what is best?

Does anyone know if there are switched junction boxes available for the Maxlites? That would simplify my installation. Philips does have those available for their fixtures.

Finally I noticed Savio Lighting has very slim T-4 fluorescent under cabinet fixtures that come in a wide range of lengths and are somewhat less expensive than the above LED lights. Has anyone tried these? How would the light quality compare to the LED's?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

You could use a combination of eW profiles joined either end to end or staggered.
eg - 19" + 9".

The MaxLite bars are thicker than the eW profile. In addition, the eW profile is a more complete solution - parts available for different configurations.

LED lighting is more easily configured to provide an uninterrupted light run than fluorescents as the end to end gap is smaller. In addition, LED bars are hardier than thin glass tubes and have a much longer life span.

If dimming is not required, and initial cost is important, t4 fluorescents could be a viable alternative.

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™