Peach jam

lindacAugust 17, 2012

I have got to make some peach jam this weekend....simply HAVE to....can't think of going all winter without some home made peach jam....and soon the good peaches will be gone...very soon!!

Usually I just make peach jam....the recipe on the Certo flyer. It's only as good as the peaches. thinking of perhaps mixing peaches and apricots....could I use the same recipe? How about mixing peaches and nectarines? What say you all you canners and preservers?

Or should I just be boring and make peach jam.....and apricot jam?

Linda C

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

Sure, mix them if you want. Add some raspberries to the peaches and get peach melba jam. Cinnamon is nice sometimes and I just made a blueberry peach tart and that was a nicer combination than I expected.

Add a bit of booze too, if you like, just pick a flavor that seems good and add a few tablespoons. Be careful, though, adding something like rum to hot jam results in a volcano so be sure you have a big enough pan.

Maybe some lemon zest, get kind of a marmalade effect?

Annie

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 1:19AM
colleenoz

I like chopped candied ginger in peach or apricot jam :-)

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 5:27AM
lindac

What good ideas!! I often use peaches and blue berries in that summer tart....I guess because they are in season at the same time....and blue berries are good about filling in the holes between the peach slices. Not sure I would like the color of blue berry raspberry jam!
But I will definitely make a batch of peach melba jam. I still have a couple of jars of "Ginger Peachy" jam from last year....wasn't crazy about it.

I'm on my last jar of orange marmalade......anxiously awaiting orange season!

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 10:16AM
annie1992

Colleen, I also like the combination of ginger and peach, but I thought I remembered that LindaC didn't. The problem with putting crystallized ginger in the jam is that I snack on the ginger while I'm working and then there's not enough left for jam!

Annie

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 10:18AM
wizardnm

I was lucky to find some good Red Haven peaches, I was worried that I would not have any either. But I did get some and have been making plain old peach jam. I n the past I have tried several different additions to the peaches but plain wins out in use. Peach butter is good and last year I did make both spiced peach jam and vanilla bean peach jam. The plain peach was gone first.

Nancy

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 10:40AM
lsr2002

I think apricots mixed in would be great . I also love the idea of Peach Melba preserves. We did that years ago and it was terrific - only bad thing was that I wasn't so creative naming it and all the jars got labeled BLEACH JAM, but it was good enough to repeat the combination.

Lee

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 11:17AM
dedtired

No, no, no! The taste of peach is absolutely perfect in itself. No need to add anything else. I adore peaches. Our season is coming to a close and that makes me sad.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 11:47AM
centralcacyclist

I made peach jam last year. I took jars to my SoCal CF meet up. I stirred the brandy into the jam after it jelled just before pouring into jars. I added some fresh nutmeg and cinnamon and kept the sugar low.

Eileen

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 11:56AM
suzyqtexas

I made peach butter this year in my Vita Mix....regular and spiced. I used the recipe in the Ball canning book. So much peach flavor!

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 12:48PM
cloud_swift

You could make Peach Rum Brown Sugar jam which has a really nice flavor. I got the recipe from the harvest forum.

Peaches and nectarines are the same flavor so mixing them should produce pretty much the same as just peaches.

I've got a recipe for peach cardamon jam that I haven't tried making because by the time we made peach rum and plain peach we had enough peach jam. I love pear cardamon jam.

DH made apricot jam for the first time this year (first big harvest from our apricot tree) and the apricot pieces kind of disintegrated so the result was more like apricot butter instead of a jam with pieces of fruit in it. It tastes very good but do apricots always do that or was it because ours were very ripe or something? If apricots always do that, it might be odd in a mix of apricots and peaches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread with Peach Rum Brown Sugar jam.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 5:02PM
lindac

I have 12 pounds of not fully ripe peaches....so I think I'll be jammin' on Sunday....

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 5:53PM
lpinkmountain

I make peach jam quite often, peaches are my favorite fruit. I have to say that traditional peach jam doesn't ring my bell because peaches have such a delicate flavor, and when you make a traditional pectin jam with them, the amount of sugar you have to add washes out the flavor of the peaches, IMHO. I feel the same way about strawberry jam for that reason. I made peach wine spiced jam with raisins last year and everyone raved about it but I didn't like it, it was too much for me, I like the plainer jams. I make peach melba and peach maple, low sugar, longer cooked jams. I make them in small jars because the low sugar jams don't keep as long. Delicious though!

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 7:36PM
colleenoz

Cloud swift, I think your apricots must have been over ripe because my apricot jam has fairly chunky apricots in it.

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
Beans and Greens Recipes?
I wonder if I haven't been getting out enough, and...
plllog
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
A couple more questions about the new format
I've noticed that there's an underline, then gw after...
sally2_gw
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
Need Recipe Help
Need Recipe Help Our church hosts a Lenten Luncheon...
blueheron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™