Looking for the best (i.e. most natural) lighting for bathroom

msbrandywinevalleyDecember 2, 2012

I'm shopping for two wall sconces for my master bath. It's a fairly small room -- about 5' x 9'. Although there's a light in the shower, the sconces will be the primary light source in the room.

I'm really confused about the effect of my various lighting options. We've had incandescent lighting in there since Day One, and the coloring is really okay with me. But obviously there are lighting options that didn't exist when we built our home 30+ years ago, and I want to choose wisely. My question is, what type of light bulb will provide the best light in terms of brightness and natural color?

I've pretty much eliminated fluorescent because my impression is that it's harsh and cold. But what about CFL? is the light color different than traditional fluorescent? And what do I need to know about halogen and LED?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

There are warm white CFL and led bulbs. All fluorescent lighting will take time to come up to full brightness.

Led bulbs like the Philips L prize winning bulb can be dimmed and do not have the delay associated with fluorescent lighting (CFL included).

Halogen bulbs run far hotter than the typical incandescent bulbs and would require the appropriate fixtures.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 10:48PM
More Discussions
Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?
GW, Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is...
AndrewDK
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
Alternative to pot/can lights
Spoke to my GC yesterday and he suggested that I use...
abbabug
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™