Leviton magnetic dimmers vs. lutron magnetic dimmers.

sara_in_phillyDecember 2, 2011

There are quite a few brands of magnetic low voltage transformers listing Lutron magnetic dimmers as their approved dimmer, but not leviton magnetic dimmers. I specifically asked Juno whether their magnetic transformer works with other brands of magnetic dimmer, for example, leviton. Their answer is "Unfortunately, at this time, we do not have any Leviton dimmers approved for use with the magnetic TL575 driver. " So basically no information there. I can see leviton is not listed myself!

One of things I learn from this forum is that a magnetic dimmer should work with a magnetic transformer. Any reason why I shouldn't use a Leviton magnetic dimmer with a Juno magnetic transformer? Lutron is much more expensive than Leviton, what I am trading off by using a less expensive leviton?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

Component quality? For the most part, current residential Leviton dimmer switches are not as good as Lutron.

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 12:33PM
brickeyee

It costs money ad takes time to ensure that the dimmer will operate correctly with a brand of dimmer.

Trades in the dimmer and 'transformer' can make a difference that is not apparent untitll teeing.

There is simply no a prior way to know how the devices will interact.

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 10:41AM
brickeyee

"It costs money ad takes time to ensure that the dimmer will operate correctly with a brand of dimmer. "

Should be any dimmer with an brand of CFL (or any transformer operated light source).

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 11:28AM
sara_in_philly

Oops, I bought a Leviton magnetic transformer already, a few weeks ago and before I nailed down which transformer to buy:-(

I just ordered a Juno magnetic transformer, should I even try to see whether the Leviton dimmer works with the transformer or just exchange it for a Lutron?

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 8:56PM
David

I would exchange it.

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™