Fabric softners and septic systems

capecodcookDecember 29, 2006

I would appreciate any factual information anyone has on the effect of fabric softners on septic systems/fields. It sure seems ot gunk up the inside of the dispenser after a while and I'm wondering what it does to a septic tank or leaching field.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kenmorewasher

Use fabric softener sheets instead of liquid!
Use liquid detergent instead of powder!

Bookmark   December 29, 2006 at 7:19PM
dgmarie

Ditto
Ditto

Use a lint screen on any waste water coming from your washer before it hits the ejector pump to your septic system.

Bookmark   December 30, 2006 at 10:24PM
itgeek

capecodcook,

Most fabric softener is just like putting hamburger grease down the drain. With a handful of exceptions, the liquid fabric softeners you buy in the supermarket or at a big box store are petroleum based.

If you have a good colony of bacteria and enzymes in your septic, they will eat those lipids and break them into smaller organically absorbable compounds... eventually... maybe.

The plant based fabric softeners - i.e. soy or coconut - such as Method (at Target), Seventh Generation and the now defunct Downy Advanced are generally easier for the septic colony to digest since the plant fat/lipid molecules aren't as complex as the petroleum based ones. (Sort of like the difference between unsaturated fats and saturated fats.)

As long as you use limited amounts of plant derived softener and feed your septic colony (i.e. with something similar to Rid-X, Bioprime, etc.), you should be fine. You're not putting anything down the drain that isn't passing out your colon already.

- IT Geek

Bookmark   January 1, 2007 at 3:07AM
More Discussions
Fisher+Paykel Eco Intuitive not working properly
Hello, I hope someone out there can help me! I have...
varietypack
How to access Program Mode in Miele W3038
After almost four years without a washer yesterday...
recordaras
Speed Queen washer
When you all are discussing your Speed Queen, did you...
maylingsmom
Affresh vs. Washer Magic
We've had our Duet for about two months, and so far/so...
chipshot
Fisher Paykel Washer/Dryer
Sears is now carrying Fisher Paykel washers and dryers....
phyllisb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™