Energy-Star fixture and bulb wattage?

pussuskattusDecember 19, 2010

Hello all -

I purchased a flush-mount ceiling fixture for my son's walk-in closet, and the fixture is Energy-Star rated and uses the GU24 bulb. The manufacturer's website says to use a 18W GU24 fluorescent in the fixture.

Can I use a higher-wattage bulb in the fixture if we want a little more light in there? The fixture is totally enclosed (flush-mount ceiling), but it is in a closet with a motion-detector switch, so it should never be on more than 30 minutes at a time, at most.

Here is the fixture, in case anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Energy-Star Flush-Mount Ceiling fixture

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

Probably. But check for any limitations on labels inside the fixture (there might be a maximum wattage).

GU24 lamps have integral ballasts, just like screw-in retrofit compact fluorescents. This means that the ballast and the lamp are always matched. The only difference is that GU24 lamps are acceptable to California's title 24 regulators and to Energy Star requirements, since no incandescent bulbs are made with GU24 bases.

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 3:59PM
pussuskattus

Thank you, I will check when it gets here.

Bookmark   December 19, 2010 at 10:44PM
mikie_gw

That website has that gu24 base in a 23 watt also.
They dont have any bulb dimensions listed though.

Bookmark   December 25, 2010 at 1:07PM
DavidR

The fixture the OP is asking about is not a motion sensor and a closet light typically won't be frequently cycled. The post above appears to be a generic ad for a website, presumably operated by "felguard."

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 4:19AM
pussuskattus

Yes, I agree with you, davidr. "Felguard" seems to have posted a lot of similiar posts all at about the same time.

However, since my son is 11 years old, I do suspect that there will be a few weeks of "rapid cycling" when he first discovers that they are controlled by motion sensor! :-)

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 9:59PM
felguard

The OP IS asking for a light bulb that uses a fixture that is turned on by a "motion-sensor." I am simply suggesting him to take a look at LED lights since they are a plus when it comes to "instant on" and "rapid-cycling" features.

As for the advertising, I apologize if I have broken any rules. I can post the same type of content from ANOTHER site instead if that is the case.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 11:53PM
pussuskattus

As the OP, I do agree that LED lights have an advantage over CFL's when it comes to instant on and brightness. However, LED's still have a significant disadvantage on price which is too high to pay for instant on in a young boys' closet. By the time the boy is old enough to really worry about the clothes in his closet, I am sure LED prices will have come down enough that I can change to an LED bulb.

Bookmark   January 8, 2011 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Retrofitting off-sized recessed lighting with LEDs-Help?
We are renovating our just-purchased apartment and...
lindy74
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
Legacy Debut Kitchen Cabinet -designer construction
Hi, Does anyone have any feedback on this cabinet...
Lisa Smith
Is it ok to install ceiling lights in the slab itself?
I'm getting a new house built and trying to figure...
pursuitofhome
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
Sponsored Products
Costaluz 3062 Series Aluminum One-Light Fluorescent Wall Sconce with Bronze Glas
$216.00 | Bellacor
Acquatinta Suspension Lamp - Black - Michele De Lucchi, Produzione Privata
$870.00 | HORNE
James Martin Furniture Monterey 48 in. Single Vanity - Antique Brandy Multicolor
Hayneedle
RCA Table or Wall Lamp by Grupo B.lux
$600.65 | Lumens
Hinkley Vento 12" High Dark Sky LED Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Leverich Square Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™