Windowed cupola light?

mythreesonsncDecember 8, 2010

Hi All,

I usually hang around the building a home forum and kitchen forum, but when you need an expert lighting opinion, I think this is where I need to be!

We are building a house with a cupola on the top --- the cupola is 4 sided with fixed windows. It is not accessible from inside the house. I have always planned to have a light in the cupola for a nice nighttime glow, but now that it is up, it is proving tricky! It has been suggested that we hinge one of the windows in order to get up and change the bulb, but changing a bulb frequently is still not terribly appealing! It has been suggested to put in an LED light, to reduce the frequency of bulb changes. I wondered about getting a small solar contraption --- but am having a hard time finding anything resembling what is in my imagination (I have in mind a solar "panel" which could be hidden on the back side of the roof, and then a solar light). Do any of you experts have any ideas that I might just be completely missing?

Thanks very much.... here is a picture of what I am talking about....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dim4fun

Fiber optic is a good solution to light spaces that are difficult or impossible to access later. The light source can be elsewhere, within reasonable distance, in a more accessible spot.

Here is a link that might be useful: One of the better fiber companies.

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 3:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mythreesonsnc

Thanks for the tip --- I will definitely spend some time checking this out in more detail!

Bookmark   December 8, 2010 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Rosette on slanted dining room ceiling?
Moved into a resale which has a dining room fixture...
Barb P
Quality of LED fixtures from different manufacturers
Hello! Does anyone know how LED light fixtures from...
linae
Legacy Debut Kitchen Cabinet -designer construction
Hi, Does anyone have any feedback on this cabinet...
Lisa Smith
Anyone using regular white bulbs in a clear glass fixture?
The light fixture my mom and I like best so far for...
Robyn Hoke
Retrofitting off-sized recessed lighting with LEDs-Help?
We are renovating our just-purchased apartment and...
lindy74
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™