Has anyone used Ikea integrated undercabinet lighting?

monkeypuzzleDecember 3, 2009

What are your experiences with Ikea integrated undercabinet lighting? (Hardwired into the wall.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saskatchewan_girl

We purchased ours (in Canada) and after going to MANY lighting stores found these to be the nicest and not as hot, if you happen to get close. Every store..even lighting specialty stores..told me that they could not be hard wired. I just knew they could and pursued it and hired an electrician. With the proper transformer (enough to handle the wattage amount) I purchased, the Electrician wired them all to the transformer (place under my sink in a metal "junction" type looking box) NO PROBLEM. He then wired a separate cable from the panel box and put in a new switch in my backsplash. The are even dimmable, with the proper "magnetic" type of dimmable switch!!! Something the Electrician told me.
I'm very happy with them and glad I hired the Guy to install, it seemed very time consuming....although not hard, just tedious!
No regrets! If you decide to do it, purchase those extras like the transformer, (at least 10watts more than what your lights add up to), dimmable switch, long caps that cover the wiring under your cabinet (purchased from Home Depot, white long opening/locking wire covers that have double backed tape to ensure they stick under your cabinets) .........etc on your own, they cost more when the Electrician provides them.
Good Luck : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Home depot cord/wire covers

Bookmark   December 17, 2009 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™