dimmer for twist and lock coil lamp?

kate7047November 28, 2009

I had 2 sconces installed in the dining room. The selection of the sconces was by someone else. The fixtures look nice, but it turns out they use "twist and lock" CF bulbs. I wanted to use a dimmer since they are in a dining room and they are too bright for dining but OK for other uses, but I now find out they cannot use a dimmer. Is there a work-around for this or am I going to have to replace them? I can't stand the bright light for dining and I really hate to throw out 2 brand new sconces over this but the light is awful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lightguy

Do you know if the ballast is in the fixture or if the bulbs are self ballasted? I'm not totally familiar with fluorescent since I never use them. But it sounds like you have a GU24 base bulb. If the bulb is ballasted, then you can just put in a bulb that's a lower wattage.
Alternatively, you can change the socket in the fixture to a standard A socket. You should be able to take the lamp to any place which does repairs and ask them to change it.

Good luck.

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 2:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creek_side

First confirm that you do have a fixture which takes GU-24 bulbs, then Google for dimable GU-24. I think they do exist. If they don't exist at the moment, you can be sure they will be available soon. The GU-24 base is destined to become a major standard.

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 6:36PM
More Discussions
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
New kitchen lights - regular cans with retrofIt LED kit or LED cans?
Frankly, I don't know what "LED cans" look...
linae
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™