Tacky old fixture

karinlNovember 24, 2011

We rewired and installed this old fixture today... I can't quite date it; it could be anywhere from 50s to 70s. Classic colonial maple, which I have a weakness for, and copper - I was able to find some copper chain locally, finally. Got it cheap, and needed to replace a buzzing fluorescent in the kitchen, so we thought we'd try it out. It actually has copper "hats" as well, but gives better light without them.

So I thought I'd issue a challenge for the tackiest light fixture :-)

Karin L

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lee676

Uh, I think anyone who likes that wallpaper will like the light too, and I'll just leave it at that....

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 7:54AM
roadbike

If you think it is tacky and apparently dislike the look why in the world would you spend money and time rewiring and hanging it. To be honest your post comes across as flame bait from an internet troll.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 11:59AM
karinl

My apologies. I'm simply laughing at ourselves, a bit. I thought there might be others here who enjoy the vagaries of lighting design and who might have examples of some of its wilder excesses and missteps, of which there certainly have been, and continue to be, many.

I love wood fixtures, and wood, period, so couldn't resist this fixture when it came by for a song. As I've mentioned on other threads, we have had industrial fluorescent fixtures in this room for nearly two decades, and it was time for a change. It is very hard to imagine what a new fixture will look like and how it will illuminate in a room you're so familiar with in its current format and where the status quo actually works well. We really had trouble imagining how a more decorative fixture would work - among other things, the ceilings being 10 feet, we wondered if it would look a bit lost in space, or fail to throw much light. Including the fixture, the total investment was about $60 and a few hours, and we regarded it as an experiment.

If we don't leave it here, where we are actually quite enjoying it, we'll use it elsewhere, so the wiring work is not wasted (it was just to put on a longer top wire). And I may just get new glass for it, since at least half the tackiness quotient comes from that, and there is a bit of a glare problem with the clear parts.

As for the wallpaper, yup, old fixture, old wallpaper, old house. It's kind of a package deal - modern just doesn't look very convincing in this setting.

Thanks for the responses!

Karin L

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 2:39PM
roadbike

I actually like the look - it all fits together and if you have the furniture to match then enjoy!

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Bedroom Lighting Advice?
I just came up with a first draft for lighting in our...
schicksal
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
Quality of LED fixtures from different manufacturers
Hello! Does anyone know how LED light fixtures from...
linae
Transitional design lighting
Should light fixtures "match" in transitional...
sheepco4
Sponsored Products
Nova Lighting 1398DC Konico Floor Lamp - 1398DC
$402.50 | Hayneedle
Yosemite Home Decor 12 in. Ceiling Fan Extension Downrod Chocolate Brown 12DRCB
$10.80 | Home Depot
Sonneman | Connetix 9in Ceiling Light
$830.00 | YLighting
Beat Light Stout Pendant - Black - Tom Dixon
$1,425.00 | HORNE
RAB 16" 250W Metal Halide Low Bay with Aluminum Reflector and Drop Lens
LBC Lighting