Cree LR6 housings and foam insulation??

seattlepaulNovember 22, 2009

I'm looking closely at the Cree LR6 as a perfect solution for lighting in a basement wine cellar because of the low heat that it puts off. Because this is a cellar though, the ceiling (which is also the floor above) needs to be super-insulated, which means spray-in foam insulation.

I know you usually shouldn't spray foam around high wattage housings, even IC because many of them are designed to be slightly "lossy" and let heat escape out the back, but what about in this case? I know there's a heat sink in the module that takes heat away from the LED chips, so there must be some heat in there, but it sounds like it's only a couple watts.

Does anybody have experience using LR6s either in existing cans (who's?) or in Cree's can when they are closely covered in insulation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
housavvy

The LED bulbs do put off heat. Not the light emitting chip itself, but the driver. That is why the LED bulbs usually look like heatsinks. If the bulb gets to hot it burns out which is expensive with LED.
So in short. Yes they put off less heat. Yes it will work. You very likely will not get the expected bulb life from the LED bulb if the spray foam is applied directly to the can housing.

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Accent Eyeball lighting for Artwork
Any recommendations for size and type of eyeball light?...
lake72
Which would you pick for an LED step light / night light
We are in the rough-in stage of our new build, and...
Sun43
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
If we need to do smaller 3 inch recessed lights in a shower ....
Hi everyone, We are trying to work out if we can put...
ontariomom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™