kitchen recessed light plan advice, please

j-ykNovember 17, 2011

I am putting recessed lights in the kitchen and I need some advices. I have a current light plan but I am not sure how to embed it in my message...

The kitchen is sort of 15' x 15' but a bit less than that since a part of the kitchen goes in (less kitchen space) due to the wall encasing a stair case right adjacent to it (by about 3' x 7').

My electrician is planning to use some sort of 6" recess can (65watt capacity) and five of them. The current problem is that because the 6" is too big, I can't fit it in the soffit we are building (to hind exposed pipes at the top) and when I said that I would prefer something smaller that will fit in the soffit, I was told that that will end up cutting the brightness greatly since those smaller recessed lights are not "flood lights" and they are sort of accent lights.

It's hard to make sense of anything since I don't really know much about lighting... Any advices? Thank you so much in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: current light plan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

Assuming recessed cans for kitchen lighting
1. Plan on having ~ 35 lumens per sq ft for general lighting from the main light source(s).
2. The cans should be spaced between 3' to 4' apart in some relatively regular pattern.
3. The distance from the wall is typically between 26" to 32".
4. The final position and layout is influenced by the layout of obstructions in the ceiling such as joists, plumbing, wiring, insulation, ducting, vertical clearance...
5. If you live in California or a region with energy efficiency laws (title 24 for CA), the type of recessed can is strictly governed.
6. LED recessed can lamps (e.g. - Cree CR6, LR6, Sylvania RT6) work much better than the standard bulb in a can configuration as the latter traps a significant amount of light.
7. Under cabinet lighting is very useful.
8. The glimpse LED lights can be used as surface mounted lights and can be used in places where a standard can will not fit.

If you're building soffits, you could consider putting in cove lighting - either LED or T4/ T5 fluorescent. The cove lighting could be used to supplement or replace the recessed can lights.
Alternatively, you could use pendants.

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 9:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
j-yk

THank you! Your comment is extremely helpful!

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
Accent Eyeball lighting for Artwork
Any recommendations for size and type of eyeball light?...
lake72
Recessed lighting - Remodel (yes/no) LED Can and Trim/Engine (model)
Hi, I want to install recessed lighting in my house...
firsthome_sfh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™