Transformer for under-cabinet puck lights?

ajtrenkleNovember 21, 2010

My fiance and I recently moved into our new home and we noticed the kitchen has what looks like nice under cabinet puck lights installed. However, these lights currently do not work. We were told they need a new transformer installed.

I know almost nothing about what that means, but tried to figure out the way the lights are setup on my own.

It seems they are all connected to a central block hub, and controlled by a little switch under the cabinet. As far as I can tell, though, the block hub is not connected to anything.

Would the transformer simply connect into the block and then plug in to an outlet in the upper cabinet that the block hub is in? Anyone have any idea on what transformer is best and where to get it?

I hope I am using correct terminology, I really don't know what I am doing, trying to learn.

Any help appreciated :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The problem with using a single transformer is the high current used by low voltage lights.

Concealed wiring (in walls) is also required to conform to the NEC rules for an 'approved method' and is often excessive large for individual pucks (or even a couple together) and to small for the main transformer output at high current.

Pegasus Lighting should have a transformer.

You need to size it based on how many watts the lights pull (and them add some margin to prevent voltage droop in the transformer).

Voltage drop in the wiring to the pucks can also be an issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pegasus Lighting

    Bookmark   November 22, 2010 at 1:38PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
If we need to do smaller 3 inch recessed lights in a shower ....
Hi everyone, We are trying to work out if we can put...
Brightest Longest Lasting Outdoor Flood Light?
Hey I'm looking for suggestions for outdoor flood lights...
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Accent Eyeball lighting for Artwork
Any recommendations for size and type of eyeball light?...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™