in CA, need help with green lighting in bath!

michoumonsterNovember 13, 2011

Hi all,

I am in CA and doing a new construction. I would love some advice on what I can or cannot do for lighting in the bathrooms. Do they have to be title 24 compliant and high efficiency? I understand the kitchens have more strict requirements than other rooms of the house. I would love to be high efficiency, it is just that there are very limited choices for high efficiency AND attractive bath lighting right now, plus the high efficiency stuff is super expensive!! Can I just buy halogen or incandescent lights and put them on dimmers? is there a wattage limit, etc?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dim4fun

For baths you must have either a vacancy sensor OR high efficiency lighting.

A simple wall vacancy sensor will work for one zone of lighting. If you have multiple zones of lighting Lutron has a nice solution with their Maestro wireless dimmers/switches and vacancy sensor.

Here is a link that might be useful: vacancy sensor with multiple dimmers

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 10:47PM
brickeyee

Or these.
Leviton Occupancy Sensor Wall Switch, PR180

Here is a link that might be useful: Occupancy Sensor Switches

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 10:33AM
michoumonster

thanks very much for the info dim4fun and brickeyee! those occupancy sensors are very affordable too!

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 1:01PM
dim4fun

Make sure you purchase the vacancy sensor type and not an occupancy sensor which won't meet the code.

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 2:45PM
karinl

Are you allowed/able to do a solar light tube? Can't get any more efficient/green than that.

Karin L

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 5:24PM
wws944

Hmm. When we reconstructed our house three years ago, the basic rule for bath and laundry rooms was that the first switch when you walk in the door had to be high efficiency. The remaining lights could be incandescent, but had to be on the motion sensor. So it wasn't strictly one OR the other.

We used Panasonic fan/light combos for the first switch, then bought what we liked for the rest. The Panasonics have a pair of FDS18E35/4 18 watt CFL bulbs in them. (Plus a small incandescent night light on a separate switch.)

As far as solar light tubes go, we were told that installing a light kit in one didn't count as a high efficiency light - because you could screw an incandescent bulb into it. I guess if the light kit had a GU-24 socket, it would have counted.

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 11:15PM
dim4fun

The code you built under was from 2005. New rules for projects that went into plan check starting January 2010.

Here is a link that might be useful: new rules

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Yet another kitchen lighting plan review request
I've been reading a lot here and elsewhere trying to...
funkycamper
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™