low voltage lighting questions

hogan_njNovember 29, 2009

why do they recommend you put the transformer outside in stead of inside,does it really matter? Also why does the first light need to be 10' or more from the transformer,what would happen if it was less?

Can you tap off one light and go in two different directions or should I run two separate branches from the transformer? I am adding a light to the circuit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

What kind of lighting system are you asking about? Is it outdoor/landscape lighting?

The voltage at an LV fixture is highly dependent on the distance from the remote transformer.

This question probably belongs in the electrical wiring forum.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 7:25AM
sombreuil_mongrel

Follow the specifications on the transformer. Some have multiple taps for more than one lead, others allow two leads from a single tap, but it must be wired properly. It all depends, but there are choices for you; a legit dealer will guide you through the process.
Casey

Bookmark   December 7, 2009 at 11:22AM
chr1ssy

Low voltage outdoor lighting (i.e. landscape lighting) transformers are supposed to be mounted outside due to UL listing codes. If a transformer is approved for outdoor use it actually is supposed to be mounted outside (and not inside). However, off the record, many people do mont them inside (like in a garage or cabana).

The reason for not connecting the first fixture with-in 10' of the transformer is because the lowest output on any low voltage transformer is 12 volts (multitap transformers go from 12v-22v). There is slight variations on actual output (due to some houses may actually have 125v, some 114 v, etc) and accordingly a close fixture may actually be slightly overvolted. If the real output is 12.4 volts, the first fixture will be overvolted. However after 10' voltage drop will make sure that the first fixture is under 12v as a safe guard. You can always mount a fixture closer than 10'--just use 10' of cable and bury the slack.
We manufacture professional grade landscape light fixtures and outdoor lighting transformers and have robust learning areas on our site if you want to learn more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Outdoor lighting transformer

Bookmark   December 16, 2009 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
is there any solution for this problem?
Have a new ceiling fan in the kitchen which I bought...
springplanter
Buzzing LEDs
I'm exploring LEDs for a new build, and so far, not...
mtvhike
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
Recessed Lighting Layout for Kitchen
Hi, everyone. I know this is asked all the time, but...
firefox15
Sponsored Products
Aperture Pattern Rojo Aleconte 2x2 Dark Emperador Line 1/2x2 Crema Marfil Dot 1/
$15.99 | TileBar
Amerelle LED Puck White Accent Light (5-Pack) LED50HBAM
$24.99 | Home Depot
Kichler Telford Modern Contempo Chandelier
1800Lighting
Contemporary LED Bathroom Vanity Light Bar 8W
ParrotUncle
Symphony Oil Rubbed Bronze One-Light Sconce with Soft Vanilla Glass
$79.00 | Bellacor
Dawson Antique Brass One-Light Wall Sconce with Hand Polished Crystal
$218.00 | Bellacor
Vaxcel Carlisle 9-Light Chandelier - 30W in. Noble Bronze - CR-CHU009NB