New Whirlpool Duet, few questions....lint, detergent?

annakathleenDecember 31, 2013

Hi! Went shopping yesterday at Sears and brought home Duet Steam washer. One thing I noticed is some FL washers have a front access panel for lint filter cleaning. Mine does not. How does one clean a lint filter in a machine with no easy access panel and how often?

Also, I love Gain detergent, how little can one get away with in these machines? How much do you use? I know overuse can shorten machine life, but I still want super clean clothes!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annakathleen

One more.... If I use borax for my hard water (which i do) do I still need to run self cleaning cycle with bleach or does borax in every load take care of that?

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 10:10AM
dadoes

There is no active lint filter in the machine ... not in the sense that it filters the water while the wash and rinse phases are running.

There is a pump protector/filter. It's sole purpose is to catch stray small objects and debris (coins, hairpins, screws, nails, gum wrappers, etc.) from getting into the pump when the water drains. It does not need to be cleaned unless/until there's an obvious problem related to it, such as an impairment in draining the water. Objects caught in the filter can accumulate some lint as the drain water passes through but the potential for that is greatly reduced if you are diligent at checking pockets and keeping stray objects out of the machine.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 11:52AM
kris_zone6

I run a cleaning cycle about once a year. I use powder detergent the majority of the time, never use liquid fabric softener, and do use borax in some of my loads. I have never had a smelly washer problem. I take the detergent tray out and leave the door open when I am finished using the washer for the day. My washer is a Kenmore made by Whirlpool and I have had it for 4 years.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 1:47PM
beaglenc

Annakathleen, If you like Gain, you can get the HE formula and experiment with doseage. You want very few suds or none at all. You can test the water to see if it's slippery by pausing the cycle and opening the door and feeling it. Start with the smallest amount and work from there.

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
Official Cheer HE Powder...Finally
I was so happy to find that P&G now offers Cheer...
kgdallas
which compact washer/dryer?
I really wanted the Miele touchtronic washer/dryer...
achase1961
Persil at Walmart!
I was looking through the walmart flyer and I saw that...
andi2928
Dryer: Changing from gas to electric?
Hi, Wondering what the experiences of folks who have...
dan_no_9
Need help choosing a large capacity washer- whats the least bad option
I really want a Miele or a Speed Queen. That said,...
mwinfield
Sponsored Products
KOHLER Jetted Bathtubs Windward 6 ft. Whirlpool Tub in Dune 1114-NY
Home Depot
KOHLER Jetted Bathtubs Archer 5-1/2 ft. Whirlpool Tub in Dune K-1949-LA-NY
Home Depot
KOHLER Jetted Bathtubs Archer 6 ft. Whirlpool Tub in Cashmere K-1124-RAW-K4
Home Depot
Aquatic Bathtubs Hialeah II 6 ft. Reversible Drain Whirlpool Bath Tub in
Home Depot
American Standard Jetted Bathtubs Gelcoat 4.33 ft. Walk-In Whirlpool and Air
Home Depot