Recessed lighting that is close to day light?

frenchmanNovember 26, 2009

Hi,

I want to install 4" recessed lights in my kitchen. Because I removed the 6x3 ft window I had in that kitchen, I would like to get bulbs that are the closest to day light as I can. At the same time, I would like line voltage.

Can you recommend lights that will work for this? It seems from some of what I've read that the MR16 bulbs may be a good fit and are available in line voltage too? (Is that another name?)

Thanks!

YA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frenchman

Also, my under cabinet lighting will be Ikea's Grundtal halogen lghting.

Bookmark   November 26, 2009 at 4:40PM
macv

Line voltage versions of the low voltage MR16 lamps are called GU10 or ES16. They will a bit warmer than daylight and nicer IMHO.

Bookmark   November 27, 2009 at 9:00PM
normclc

just be careful before you buy.
The GU10 mlamp is a very inferior lamp when it comes to light output, colour rendition,and especially length of life.
There are many of us in the lighting industry that like it see the GU10 lamp disappear.
The MR16 is the best incandescent lamp on the market today, but for many reasons,the market is driving the GU10 and Par20 lamps,both poor substitutes.
Also , as the lamp does all the work in providing light output, the size of ther housing(4" or 5") is dictated by the lamp needed to do the job.
I've seen too many jobs ruined by selecting the recessed fixture based on aperture size, not performance

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 9:46AM
frenchman

Norm, I am under the impression that the MR16 housings are super expensive, and that the ones which are not buzz when dimmed. Is that not true? And does every housing needs its own converter?

I am not opposed to a better solution if the MR16 is it, but I need to keep this from becoming expensive.

I did pick 4" since I think 6" will look too big. I posted a link to my room plan if you want to have a look at it and suggest something, in that other thread. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
YA

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 5:38PM
normclc

I'm not trying to be cute, but "expensive" is relative.
A good quality MR16 , with a decent trim,not a gimbal, should cost you around $75.00.
So, what's the total cost of your reno, and how important is it to you to have the correct light levels in your new kitchen to both do tasks, as well highlight the new cabinets and counter top?
Most decent MR16 fixtures will not cause a hum, if used with a good quality magnetic dimmer.

Bookmark   November 30, 2009 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
My stairwell will be my photography gallery
I am going hang my photographs almost all the way to...
Gary Conrad
Durable Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
I would like some recommendations on quality, durable...
happs
Disappointed with my LED recessed lights ... what now?
My LED recessed lights (Cree 6'' 2700K) were installed...
aussies
Sponsored Products
VIG Furniture - Divani Casa T271 - Modern Leather Sectional Sofa -...
Great Furniture Deal
Alita Rust Black Mini Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Fabbian | Becky Table Lamp
$218.70 | YLighting
Alyssia 20-piece Flatware Set
Overstock.com
Designers Fountain 6693 Essence 3 Light Bath Bar in Chrome Finish - 6693-CH
$125.50 | Hayneedle
Possini Euro Frosted White Glass 5-Light Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™