Bath vanity & overhead lighting -xpost

enmnmNovember 15, 2011

We live in a "builder's special" house. My bath is about 5 x 7 and wasn't properly designed: for one, the only light is a double arm light above the vanity mirror (which isn't even a medicine cabinet.)

Is it possible to replace this with a unit that has arms that come down the side of the mirror? (I believe Kichler makes one, but I can only find one style.) I need side lighting, but cannot do any rewiring or screw with the drywall.

Also, while I have an overhead vent and fan, I would like to replace it with one that has a light attached. Would this be complicated?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roadbike

"We live in a "builder's special" house. My bath is about 5 x 7 and wasn't properly designed: for one, the only light is a double arm light above the vanity mirror (which isn't even a medicine cabinet.)"

Sounds like a standard design bathroom.

"Is it possible to replace this with a unit that has arms that come down the side of the mirror? (I believe Kichler makes one, but I can only find one style.) I need side lighting, but cannot do any rewiring or screw with the drywall."

You have to get power to the lights somehow. Either buy independent sconces or a mirror with the lights attached. There is no magical way ot getting powere to those lights. Either the wire is there or it isn't. Sounds like a simple job for an electrician.

"Also, while I have an overhead vent and fan, I would like to replace it with one that has a light attached. Would this be complicated? "

Not complicated, but it will likely involve an electrician installing a second switch so that light and fan are controlled separately. Don't run them off a common switch.

Bookmark   November 23, 2011 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Anyone using regular white bulbs in a clear glass fixture?
The light fixture my mom and I like best so far for...
Robyn Hoke
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
judydenver
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
Sponsored Products
Quoizel Kami Art Glass Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Zuo Wilco Glossy Red Side Table
Euro Style Lighting
Christopher Knight Home Geneva 8-light Royal Cut Crystal and Gold Chandelier
Overstock.com
ELK Lighting Quinton Parlor 66214-4 Vanity - 29W in. - Oiled Bronze - 66214-4
$338.00 | Hayneedle
Tiered Shade 15 Inch Wide Mini Drop Pendant In Ivory -Brushed Nickel
$111.31 | Bellacor