Preventing water damage

HeathermorDecember 19, 2013

I am in the processes of buying a condo in a converted factory building. The washer and dryer is a stacked front loader unit in a very tight front hall closet. It is nine years old and still works fine. I am concerned that it might leak. I was going to have it pulled out and have the hoses replaced with stainless steel ones, and maybe put a plastic pan under the units. I have heard of automatic water cut off valves that turn off after each completed load. Are they hard to install and would they be a resonable choice since I am on the fourth floor with apartments under me? Any advise or things to look out for would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dave1812

Stainless is the only way to go.

yes, you could install the auto shut off valves w/o much trouble.

For a few dollars, you can buy a VERY LOUD moisture alarm at Home Depot. I have one under each sink, and the hot water heater. Those suckers will just about blow out your eardrums if they sense moisture.

Change the stainless hoses roughly every 5 years. If they break the leaks are far less catastrophic than non-stainless and if you are home, the water sensor will alert you quickly.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 11:12AM
itguy08

Just be aware the majority of the stainless hoses are not really stainless but a regular rubber hose with the stainless braiding on the outside. They do make floodcheck hoses which have a valve in them at the faucet side which will stop if it senses a major leak. Although I used them on our toilet and every other flush it wanted to shut it off.

I'd second the pan and alarm.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 11:19AM
dave1812

I expected the OP to understand that a "hose" isn't pure stainless steel...sigh

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 5:11PM
Heathermor

Thank you for your quick replies. The washer dryer are housed in a very tight closet with no room to reach behind and turn off valves. I never thought of the moisture alarms. Great idea. I will get them for under the 2 bathrooms sinks and the kitchen also. Do they need electric or do they run on batteries? I will check into the floodcheck hoses.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 9:20PM
dave1812

they run off of AAA's or AA's.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
NEW Whirlpool Duet laundry team
Hi Guys, I'm a new blog writer and i review items....
Appliancetoday
Another Which Brand to I Buy Thread...
Hello, this is my first post on GW. Although I have...
Stacy T
Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer
My GWL11 Top loading washer has had nothing but problems!...
jessicacbrandt
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
i just want somebody to fix my speed queen!!!!!!
So the timer has been acting up on my AWN542 for a...
beaglenc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™