BR40 in 6 inch cans

sriguduriNovember 11, 2013

Would a BR40 lamp fit in 6 inch recessed can? I found Feit 17w BR40 lamps at Costco for a price of 8.99 each after manufacturer's rebate. Electrician says they'll be a little too big. Why wouldn't a lamp with 5 inch diameter fit in a 6 inch can?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

There is a trim piece to cover the jagged edges of the hole which might get in the way.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 7:28PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

For $10 more you can fit an LED retrofit in that can. You'll save energy dollars and have a nice, clean light.

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 1:23PM
David

A BR LED light + trim ring is in the same cost range as a CR6 (which comes with an attached trim ring) today.

Bookmark   November 14, 2013 at 9:46PM
mattpete

6-inch cans are for Br40s, and 5-inch are for BR30s. The last owners of my house put BR30s in the 6-inch cans, and not only did they look lost inside the giant cans, they also were too dim.

I've been replacing the Br30s in my basement (Juno cans) with Feit/Lowes Br40s (17 and 22 watt versions) and they are MUCH brighter (and much brighter than the CREEs). And when they do burn out, I won't have to worry about having mismatching trim (will CREE stil be making CR6s 20 years from now?).

The only 6-inch cans I've had problems with are some of the shallower one that are often used in insulated ceiling (e.g. Halo H7icat). For those I've used the new Lighting Science/Home Depot Ecosmart BR40s. They have the width of a BR40, but the depth of a Br30, so they don't stick out of the fixture.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-15-Watt-90W-BR40-Soft-White-2700K-LED-Light-Bulb-ECS-BR40-90WE-W27-120/203914616#.Uoom3SiQ4wE

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 9:40AM
David

Many things can happen in 20 years. Companies may go bust, merge, lighting styles pass away, ...

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 9:47PM
mattpete

True, but I bet in 20 years I can buy a bulb in the Br40 form-factor. I'd rather have one bulb that looks different from all the others, than an entire fixture that looks different.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
thoughts on WAC Lighting LEDme Pro Light Bars
title says it all - any feedback on this brand and...
lmgch
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Rosette on slanted dining room ceiling?
Moved into a resale which has a dining room fixture...
Barb P
Sponsored Products
Sonneman Oceana 29" Wide Polished Chrome Bathroom Light
Euro Style Lighting
Stone Forest - Cirque Vessel - C55 BL
$738.00 | PlumbTile
Kinetic
$218.00 | Lumigado
MTI MTSB-6036 Shower Base (59.625" x 35.75")
Modern Bathroom
Fanimation | Levon Ceiling Fan
$449.00 | YLighting
Sample-Loft Ice White Frosted Tumbled Edge 3x6 Glass Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Homelegance Alyssa 6 Drawer Dresser w/ Mirror in Cherry
Beyond Stores
Hudson Upholstered Bedroom Bench - Deep Licorice - 525-450
$451.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™