Another question about recessed lights

ladoladiNovember 13, 2011

When purchasing recessed lights, some of them say "new construction" and some say "for remodels." Is there a significant difference?

I'm trying to find IC-rated 4" wet location housings, but the ones I've found so far say they're for new construction.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

You need to use retrofit housings if you don't intend to rip down the ceiling or don't have access to the space above your ceiling.

Retrofit housings clip onto the ceiling board and depend on it for support.

I don't think you will be able to find retrofit housings that meet the requirements for wet locations.( mildly put)

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 12:05AM
ladoladi

Davidtay:

We have a fairly large attic and have already installed a number of can lights throughout the house. The electricians were able to install them without ripping out the ceiling. However, the electricians were gouging us on the cost of materials, which is why I want to purchase the housings and trims on my own... but I'd like to get the correct ones.

Thanks!

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 2:18PM
David

With access to the space above the ceiling and confidence clambering around in the attic space, I would get new construction cans rather than retrofit/ remodel cans.

The retrofit cans depend on the ceiling board for support, whereas the new construction cans use nailed in hangers (which could be slightly challenging with the ceiling already installed).

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?
GW, Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is...
AndrewDK
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™