Ceiling Fan Light

phillipehNovember 16, 2009

We put ceiling fans in three bedrooms that we bought from Lowe's. They came with a light kit with 4 bulbs. However, they use 40 watt bulbs, which give off next to no light. I replaced the 40 watt bulbs with 60 watts, but the fan, somehow, dims them down to the light output of 40 watts. I need a solution to this problem because the bedrooms are little dark -- and the wife HATES that!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azlighting

You may be SOL as the fan may ne internally regulated for 40W MAX. If that is the case, you can swap out for a CFL, if they make one that small, or go with a clear lamp instead of the frosted ones that come standard with the fan.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 11:05PM
phillipeh

I tried 40watt clear bulbs, and they do make CFLs with candelabra base, but they tend to flicker. Guess I'm just SOL.....

But can you buy a fan that uses regular base bulbs and doesn't restrict them to 40watts?

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 12:53PM
azlighting

You can by a fan that uses regular bulbs, however you may have to search for them.
Same goes for the 40 watt restriction. This is set by the manuf., so you will need to look for a fan from a manuf. that increases the max. wattage.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 11:18PM
macv

Get some table lamps; they provide far more pleasant light.

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 9:01PM
ginger_light

Energy Conservation Act at work. One solution is to add recessed lighting if that option is possible for you. The days of being able to depend on a fan light to actually light a room are over due to the wattage restrictions. Adding 4 75 Watt recessed fixtures will usualy do the trick and yes be sure to add some lamps as well. I disagree with the previous post about the clear bulbs. They are awful and will only create glare. It is a total falicy that clear light bulbs have greater lumen output. What they product at the wattages over 25 is glare......the cfl's will not be brighter unless you can find the small ones in 23 watts. Please do not use the spring type in an open glass. UGLY.. Look for an enclosed one that looks more like a standard A type bulb. ginger@yourlightsite.com

Bookmark   November 18, 2009 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
Durable Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
I would like some recommendations on quality, durable...
happs
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
mtvhike
Sponsored Products
angelo:HOME Fulton Table Lamp - Orange - 8505-TL
$118.00 | Hayneedle
Eternity Outdoor Wall Lantern
$165.80 | Bellacor
Luceplan | Agave Ball Pendant Light
$621.00 | YLighting
Signature Designs by Ashley Olivia Bronze Glass Table Lamp (Pack of 2)
Overstock.com
F/N Tall Wall Sconce by WPT Design
$811.75 | Lumens
Wellington Chandelier - Incandescent - Three Lights - Brushed Nickel
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™