6 Inch Can Trim

Mel0569November 4, 2011

Hi,

We are doing new construction and have 46 - 6inch can lights. The builder purchases everything but the trims, which we need to choose.

I am hopelessly lost on what is a good quality, reasonable cost for a 6 inch trim. We are not looking for anything fancy just standard white.

Any suggestions on where to go, big box stores or online?

Thanks,

Mel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

If you're installing LED recessed lights (e.g. - Cree CR6 or LR6, Sylvania RT6), the trim comes with the light.

Otherwise, take a look at your local lighting stores, then shop around for the best price.

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 1:14PM
wws944

Just get a bunch of Cree CR-6 LED units from Home Depot ($40/each, unless you live somewhere where they are subsidized), and call it a day. It is a very nice product. As davidtay says, it includes the trim.

No affiliation with Cree. But I do have 4 CR-6s in my house, with 10 more on the way. (I could do two more, but they are in locations where it doesn't make fiscal sense.)

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 9:04PM
lee676

Normally don't you need to get the trim from the same manufacturer as the can? I've seen several different types that often don't look interchangable.

I too would strongly consider the Cree CR6 (called Ecosmart at HD) which is a super long lasting, very efficient LED downlight with built-in white trim that installs in most 6" cans. Since a separate trim costs about $12, it's like you're getting the light bulb for $28, which is what two or three halogen floodlights would cost, and the LED lasts as long at 10 halogen bulbs and uses 1/5 the electricity. The CR6 will quickly pay for itself.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 9:59PM
lascatx

The rims alone ran about $10.60 at Lowe's and about $12 at Home Depot in our area. Seems that buying them in larger numbers you should be able to get them for less. We didn't find the LED option until after we had just bought and installed 6 new baffle rims -- I was just glad to clean up the ceiling with the the white baffle instead of the old gold/bronze color that accentuated the holes in the ceiling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another option for bulk purchase

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 2:56PM
susanlynn2012

Lascatz, thank you for the link!

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 6:34PM
More Discussions
Anyone using regular white bulbs in a clear glass fixture?
The light fixture my mom and I like best so far for...
Robyn Hoke
Is it ok to install ceiling lights in the slab itself?
I'm getting a new house built and trying to figure...
pursuitofhome
Legacy Debut Kitchen Cabinet -designer construction
Hi, Does anyone have any feedback on this cabinet...
Lisa Smith
Need help finding black lantern sconces
I am trying to find black lantern lights like this....
marthasiny
Rosette on slanted dining room ceiling?
Moved into a resale which has a dining room fixture...
Barb P
Sponsored Products
Green 500-Thread Count Best Fit Pillow Case - Set of Two
$19.99 | zulily
Tiga LED Wall Sconce Wide/Narrow
Lightology
Lumiere Table Lamp by Foscarini
$536.00 | Lumens
Wilton Performance Aluminum 4 Piece Hexagon Pan Set - 2105-3572
$37.38 | Hayneedle
Smithsonian Tool Set
Signature Hardware