Help with lighting plan? Kitchen/family room open to each other

karenschaeweNovember 9, 2012

Here's the space, at the top right is the doorway to the dining room and it is a major traffic path through the house:

Right now the only lights are 3 recessed eyeballs along the fireplace wall, indicated by the sun graphic:

I want to put in a ceiling fan with lights in the family room as marked, will that be enough lighting for that space? If the sun is out we generally don't have any lights on, the big sliding door (faces east) provides tons of natural light.

And for the kitchen? I marked places where I thought pot lights should go. Thoughts? I don't plan to use pendants over the peninsula seating.

The question mark is where the door to the garage is, it is a very dark corner and I'm wondering if we need to put another pot light there or would that be overkill? Right next to that spot is my recliner and don't think I'd like a bright light shining down on me. The pantry cabinet opens in that direction so I know we need to be able to see well there, will the ceiling fan lights be enough? Seems like I'd be standing in my shadow.

Appreciate any feedback!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

For the dark spot, you could have a pot light on a dimmer or you could use in cabinet lighting which only come on when the pantry cabinet door opens.

Having a pot light in the center of the kitchen doesn't contribute much towards task lighting.

The link below should be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recessed lighting discussion

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 3:28PM
karenschaewe

Thanks for the feedback! According to the 35 lumens per sf rule I should need 10 6" HD Eco led bulbs. Would I still be able to get rid of the pot in the center of the room and still have enough light? Thats really the only reason i added one, plus we will probably have a moveable island cart type thing in the middle of the U.

10 pots seems excessive but maybe I need to reconsider? The kitchen part of the space is 12x14.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 4:49PM
David

If you intend to use Ucl together with the pot lights, the total can be reduced.

Is there a light over the sink?

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 10:31PM
karenschaewe

There are just a couple uppers where there will be UCLs: flanking the range and to,the left of the sink where the base cabs turn the corner and form a peninsula seating area.

Ooo, I,didn't have a light over the sink, whoops! Should I put 3 total over that cab run so there is one over the sink?

In that plan I aimed for 10 pots. Questions (I appreciate your patience!):

Will the pot closest to the question mark provide enough light in that corner?

Can I still eliminate the pot in the middle of the kitchen?

Do I need the pot nearest to the range hood? (I'm,guessing not, there are,lights in the hood)

Should I remove the eyeballs by the brick fireplace wall and do something else there?

Thanks!

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 9:39AM
David

It might.

Yes, the pot in the center can be eliminated, if you won't have anything there. The pots could be re-arranged to cover more of the perimeter.

If the eyeballs are not working out, the simplest route is to change the trim to standard recessed lights.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 12:43AM
attofarad

You can always increase the lumens by using the CR6-800L where needed. I haven't actually installed any yet, but I am putting one of those over my sink (separate switch, could be dimmer if too bright), and more over my kitchen island. The rest will be the HD 575 lumen version. The 800L costs about $55 at present, including delivery.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 5:10PM
David

Agreed.

There is the LR6-10L with 1000 lumens output too.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
Looking for vendors of outdoor lighting
I am looking for quality outdoor wall lighting . I...
fiftyfab
Transitional design lighting
Should light fixtures "match" in transitional...
sheepco4
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Anyone using regular white bulbs in a clear glass fixture?
The light fixture my mom and I like best so far for...
Robyn Hoke
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
Sponsored Products
Liberty Furniture Kingston Hutch & Buffet in Hand Rubbed Cognac Finish
Beyond Stores
Monica Oil Rubbed Bronze Three-Light Chandelier
$165.55 | Bellacor
Yellow Brick Weave Luxe 4-Light Multi Light Pendant
Lamps Plus
Pewter-Accented Salt & Pepper Set
$154.00 | Horchow
Sample-Brushed Stone Travertine 2x8 Chair Rail Marble Liner Sample
$2.99 | TileBar