Oops Ring for Lighting

lawyerguyNovember 17, 2008

Has anyone ever heard of an "Oops Ring?" I am told that this is something that can cover up a hole in the ceiling for lighting when the canopy is too small to cover it. I am told that it is similar to a Medallion but made out out of plaster vs. plastic(the kinds that I have seen). Is there somewhere online that I can go to to look at or is there something else that may work. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

A medallion is a good solution.

    Bookmark   November 17, 2008 at 10:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I needed to use these on some of my Lightolier recessed lights. Check with your recessed lighting manufacturer for wide flange rings that fit your model lamp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lightolier Wide flange

    Bookmark   November 17, 2008 at 9:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


I want to make sure that I understand, the ring that you are refering to is similar to the ring that fits over the opening for the recessed light?

I am attempting to install a hanging pendant light in place of recessed light, thus the hole in the ceiling is larger than the normal sized outlet box hole. Will what you are refering to work for this? Thanks!

    Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 9:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you all are speaking of medallions as housesavvy suggests, there are several sizes and styles available at the big box stores.

    Bookmark   November 20, 2008 at 9:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I misunderstood that you needed this for a recessed light fixture. That was the mistake we had to cover up in my case. These trim rings do not apply in your case.

    Bookmark   November 20, 2008 at 11:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

These are similar to what you mean. They're available in metal or Kydex. I believe you can have the kydex ones custom cut

Here is a link that might be useful: Oops Rings Escutcheons

    Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 4:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks pound. In the same situation: replaced 5" recessed bulbs with a pendants on a wire. Big ugly holes up there now.

    Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 2:53PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
Need help finding black lantern sconces
I am trying to find black lantern lights like this....
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
is there any solution for this problem?
Have a new ceiling fan in the kitchen which I bought...
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
Sponsored Products
Justice Design Group FAL-8923 - Modular 3 Light Bath Bar - Square Flared Shade -
$320.00 | Hayneedle
Hand Painting Wooden Pot Table Lamp With Bell Shade
Feiss Mila Collection Steel 24 3/4" High Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Dunning 5Lt Chandelier Stardust Creme Parchme
Stammer Giclee Swag Style Plug-In Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Rosalia Pewter Two-Light Sconce with Clear Royal Cut Crystals
$256.00 | Bellacor
French Redhead Canvas Print
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Aurora Nine-Light Chandelier
$453.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™