Master Bedroom lighting-what to do to get enough light

samcain777November 12, 2010

Our MBR has old-fashioned downlights similar to the old-fashioned spotlights with big white trim. They do not give off good light to the whole room (14x18) and look ugly. Trying to figure out what to do. Have a ceiling fan (no light and do not want one. It was suggested that I just change out the old fashioned downlights with new style halogens. But that is really task lighting - have it in the kitchen.

I was thinking of sconces but am told they are for accent (not enough light) and won't light the room. Help! Does anyone have any ideas??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

Yep. A good old fashioned, simple, surface-mount light in the center of the ceiling - like all houses used to have 40-50 years ago. It will provide both direct and indirect light, unlike recessed lights which provide only direct light and produce heavy shadows unless installed in great numbers.

Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 11:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
captsmethwick

Our Master has only one smallish West-facing window and is naturally dimly illuminated. We have 2 switched bedside lamps and 2 dimmed sconces with no ceiling fixtures whatsoever and find it quite sufficient. I work with the guide of 1W per sq ft as starters and then think about where I want the light to be.

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 6:25AM
More Discussions
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
recessed lighting suggestions
I'm having recessed lights installed in two rooms this...
evanderleeuw
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™