CFL colors

kit222November 8, 2012

would appreciate suggestions about the CFL colors (warm, natural, neutral, day light, cool white) for different rooms in the house (e.g. living room, bedrooms,dining room, family rooms, hall way, bath, laundry, etc).

thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

My understanding is that to get real choice in CFL you will need to go with separate ballasts and tubes.

There are no rules. Just go with what you like. I like 5000K, but a good CRI paramount for me.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 2:25PM
lee676

There are plenty of "real choices" in common CFLs with integrated ballasts too.

For most indoor lighting I'm accustomed to 2700K that matches the look of incandescent lighting. Occasionally the whiter 3500K ("bright white" or "neutral") helps to prevent whites and light greys from looking dingy or yellowish, especially when the bulbs are covered by off-white lampshades.

5000K daylight bulbs work well in kitchens with white cabinets, or in basements, garages, and recreation rooms where you want bright, outdoor-like light where there isn't much natural sunlight from windows. The key is that 5000K bulbs need to be bright (or use lots of lower-wattage bulbs) to acheive the "daylight" effect; bright 5000K light can lend a stunning sunlight-like feel to dark indoor rooms, but dim 5000K light looks like a gloomy, overcast, cloudy day, as if heavy rain was three minutes away.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 7:58PM
ionized_gw

My preference would be for 5000K that tolerate a lot of on-off cycles. I've looked on a lot of shelves and racks in stores that I frequent and I have yet to see a integrated 5000K CFL of any type.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 8:49PM
attofarad

5000 or 5500K CFLs are commonly available. Here's one I bought a while back. You can also get brighter ones. CRI is supposed to be 91.

Here is a link that might be useful: ALZO 5500k CFL

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 4:17PM
ionized_gw

What store did you buy them in? How well have they performed? Do you use them in an application with frequent switching?

I see that they can not be used in enclosed luminaires or base-down in semi-enclosed. The producer's web site does not say if they can be used outdoors.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:59AM
attofarad

I bought them through Amazon. They are in a closet which I wanted to light brightly -- looks pretty stark compared to the incandescent lights in the adjacent room. They seem just as when new but they don't get switched on much, maybe two or three cycles a day. I don't think you will get much life out of any CFL in a luminary that lets it get hot, exacerbated by higher wattage.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 11:56AM
Liecmk

I tend to prefer brighter lighting, because dim lighting drives me nuts... but that's just me! :)

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
Help with different types of LED recessed lighting please!
Can someone explain the basic differences in the different...
Michelle
Kitchen light fixture inadequate.
I love school lights but I need at least 400 watts...
Anne Jones
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
texasgal47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™