40watt G9 halogen bulbs-are these bright?

Karen15November 2, 2013

We are building a home and I have the master bath set up for a double vanity with 2 mirrors and 3 sconces. One on each side of mirror and one in the middle of them. I purchased sconces that each require two 40watt G9 halogen bulbs each. So that's 6 bulbs total I will be buying. Are those bright enough for a vanity? I have two recessed lights in the shower across from vanity and another recessed light near the toilet which is next to shower. I won't know how bright that is until they install. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lee676

Depending on brand these seem to produce 375 to 450 lumens, which is about the same as, well, a 40-watt incandescent light bulb. Two of them are the same brightness as a 60-watt bulb, so it's like you have a 60-watt bulb between each mirror. Probably enough light, especially since you have a few other ceiling lights across the room. I've seen a bathroom with an over-the-vanity lamp that takes four of the G9 bulbs, each in their own glass canopy, and it's adequately bright if not more.

Bookmark   November 6, 2013 at 2:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Karen15

Thanks! Yea my idea is to not have it so bright that I need a dimmer.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Designer Approved Lighting and Furnishings
Check out 40,000 Approved Furnishings and Lighting...
Chachkies
Bulkhead pots in teeny bathroom
I'm so not a lighting expert! What's the forum members'...
Studio Design
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™