Recommendation for kitchen under cab light

mtom01November 15, 2010

I like to get some recommendation for the type of light to use for our kitchen under cabinet light.

I have hardwired each cabinet (120v), and I like to stick with 120v without using a transformer and want to go energy efficient.

I look at LED but the price is just too much, all are above $100/ each.

I have seven cabs, starting from smallest, 9"; 12"; 18"; 21" & 2 - 27"and a corner 36" cab.

We are putting in granite countertop & have marble tiles on the floor.

I want to know if flourocent, xenon, or LED will give the best light on to the granite.

I saw some LED's in Lowes , but they do not have any that will accommodate the 9" cab.

Any tips...

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
captsmethwick

We like the Kichler direct wire Low V xenon strips that we had installed in our reno this past summer. They give off a very "natural" light spectrum and, at 1"h, they are quite unobtrusive under the cabinets (we don't see them at all behind our 2" valances. We have an off-white Caesarstone quartz countertop and weren't concerned about glare. We also like the after-sales support we get from Kichler. They come in 7, 12.5, 21.5, and 30 inch lengths and fit all our cabinet requirements.

Downside: they do produce quite a bit of heat (as all xenons do).

Our criteria:
- "natural" spectrum of light
- direct wire
- weren't worried about line vs. low voltage but wished to avoid the bulk of a separate transformer
- dimmable or at least high and low settings
- slim or at easily hidden behind valances
- high quality construction

If you have dark granite, I've heard from colleagues that they were advised to steer away from LED and xenon and toward the warmer light of fluorescent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kichler

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 5:11AM
marcydc

Dimmers are too compatible with LEDs. Maybe pegasus just doesn't carry any! Environmental Lights does!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dimmable LED undercounter lights

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 6:51AM
brickeyee

"Dimmers are too compatible with LEDs."

It all depends on how the low voltage is generated.

Actual transformers need magnetic dimmers, AC/DC power supplies can be designed to work with conventional (Triac) dimmers.

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 2:25PM
DavidR

... you could also consider going with xenon and installing a dimmer to maximize efficiency.

Actually, with incandescents a dimmer reduces efficiency.

While dimming an incandescent does reduce the energy used, it lowers the filament operating temperature so that the efficacy (in lumens per watt) is reduced. This means that for best efficiency in incandescents, you should install the wattage you actually need, and operate them at full brightness.

Or install dimmable LEDs or fluorescents, neither of which suffers the same level of efficiency reduction when dimmed.

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 12:06AM
More Discussions
Durable Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
I would like some recommendations on quality, durable...
happs
My stairwell will be my photography gallery
I am going hang my photographs almost all the way to...
Gary Conrad
Need help finding black lantern sconces
I am trying to find black lantern lights like this....
marthasiny
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Quality of LED fixtures from different manufacturers
Hello! Does anyone know how LED light fixtures from...
linae
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™