Can I overload chandelier sockets with higher wattage bulbs?

aasonalkNovember 26, 2012

Hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving holiday. Great forum!!! I've learnt so much just lurking around here. :)

Today I have a problem to share. Hope you folks can help. This past week we had a new chandelier installed in our two story family room. Nice chandelier, but we missed the fact that it is rated for nine 15W Max Type B bulbs while ordering. :)

So the problem is that this lamp is not throwing out enough light for the room. Each 15W bulb seems so "less bright" to me. Our foyer lamp throws out more light with its three 40watt bulbs right now.

All bulbs (family room and foyer) are the same brand (GE clear) type B's. family has the clear 15W ones, foyer has the clear 40W ones.

So short of taking down and returning the chandelier, trying to see what else we can do here. Can we put 40W incandescent candelabra bulbs in our new nine bulb chandelier, or do we need to get another one with the higher rating?

Just for the sake of knowledge, can someone here also explain what the rating on each socket really means in a general layman sense? If I overload each socket, does that mean the wiring is going to burn down? or that the switch may trip?

Thanks so much,

Cathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
attofarad

The concerns would be that too much heat would be generated, or that the wiring wouldn't stand the total current. How many bulbs are there?

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 4:22AM
wws944

You might try LED candelabra bulbs. A 15 watt incandescent bulb is rated around 100 lumens. Some LED candelabra bulbs are rated in the 200-300 lumen range, yet draw just a few watts.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 7:04PM
bus_driver

I also suggest the LED lamps. One nearby church has replaced with the LED with great results.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 10:06PM
brickeyee

"LED candelabra bulbs"

Except most are as ugly as sin.

Only the top half is 'bulb.'
The bottom half is the power supply.

Horrible looking if you have clear glass hurricanes.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 2:49PM
michoumonster

will you have lamp shades on your candles? if so, you can go with fluorescent candelabra bulbs. they are not as expensive as LED ones, but not very pretty.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
Legacy Debut Kitchen Cabinet -designer construction
Hi, Does anyone have any feedback on this cabinet...
Lisa Smith
Need help finding black lantern sconces
I am trying to find black lantern lights like this....
marthasiny
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Bedroom Lighting Advice?
I just came up with a first draft for lighting in our...
schicksal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™