Pendant Lighting Over Island

trinintybayOctober 27, 2010

Our island is 74 1/2 long with 36" area for the sink. The electrician has put the wiring for the 3 pendant lights 18" apart with the center pendant light centered over the middle of the sink. They look bunched up to me and with only 18" between them, what size pendants could I get? I would appreciate suggestions on how far apart pendant lighting should be placed on a 6 foot bar (74 1/2". We do have canned lighting in the kitchen also.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbie_2008

so from the first pendant to the third, it is 36 inches? If that is the case I agree with you. Your entire island should be illuminated when using pendants and I can't imagine yours will be.

I don't know about the exact spacing, but maybe center, and out half way from there on each side? I guess, I saying, 1/3 in, middle, and 1/3 again

Wait on an expert or ask a lighting fixture store, not big box store.

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 3:57AM
trinintybay

Thanks for your comments Debbie. I put the wrong measurements in my post. The island is 9 feet (granite edge to granite edge). The way the wiring it spans the center 36" only.

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 8:53AM
dndsmom

At 18" apart, your lights are approximately at quarter points, so personally I think that is ideal (from a visual perspective). A friend of mine has a similar size island to yours and has her lights at quarter points. She has 12" pendants and they offer plenty of light for the entire surface. I think the size will depend on the style you select. In my previous kitchen, I had a 60" island with only one pendant centred over the sink. It was perfect for us, as we also had potlights and plenty of sunlight (3 full height windows, w/ patio door).

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 9:03AM
trinintybay

dndsmom - Your right about the quarter points if it was the 74 1/2" that I originally posted. But that measurement is incorrect. The actual island is 9' granite edge to granite edge. But you have given me a good idea about quarter points. With 108" that would be 27" apart. I'm going to take some string and some paper plates and go across the road and hang these at different intervals to see how they look. Thanks so much for your comments.

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 10:07AM
trinintybay

Took my paper plates over to the house and hung them to make sure they looked right to me. I kept one centered and then moved out 27" on either side of the center one. Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
New kitchen lights - regular cans with retrofIt LED kit or LED cans?
Frankly, I don't know what "LED cans" look...
linae
looking for some direction choosing leds for family room
I want to add some recessed led lights to the family...
gwald
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™