Front porch recessed lights

bostonsquirrelOctober 26, 2009

I am putting in a few recessed lights in my wrap-around Victorian front porch. There are two front windows facing out. Should the placement of the lights be in front of each window or in between? What size cans should I use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azlighting

Need additional information.

What size is the porch, how high is the ceiling. etc.

Typically a 6" recessed, damp location listed, fixture should suffice for a 9-10 foot ceiling spaced 6' center to center with a 42W TRT lamp.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 2:51AM
normclc

I would install 5" recessed fixtures with a black,not white baffle,and 50PAR30 bulbs.
You should always avoid placing fixtures in front of windows,unless they are tiffany style glass, and you want to appreciate them from the interior space.
Install the fixtures so as to highlight the exterior finishes and features of your home.
Uniformity of light is unnecessary , so make lights show of your home.
You only need an average of 10' spacing to obtain good lighting levels.
If you have invested in an attractive front dooe, think of installing a 4" low voltage MR16 recessed fixture , also with a black baffle

Bookmark   October 31, 2009 at 10:59AM
2ajsmama

Norm, can you explain reasoning for black baffle? I want to add recessed lights to my front porch while we're redoing the ceiling, picked up 6" damp location ICAT cans that came with white baffles/trim in a 6-pack "contractor pack". Is there any reason to buy new ones?

I figured I'd space them 6-7ft apart depending on where joists are (builder was supposed to do 16" OC) on my 48-ft long porch. Means there won't be one centered on the front door, but we have coach lights to each side.

I have 12/2 "interior" Romex, same as electrician used in our fully-soffited uninsulated garage, so I figure that should be OK for the porch lights as well?

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 7:16PM
normclc

The white baffles may look good against your souffit material, but I don't believe that anyone looks at souffits.
But once the lights are turned on at night , each fixture becomes a "glare bomb" that really detracts from your home's appearance.
With the black baffle, the glare is baffled,letting the ligth highlight your home's facade.
I suggested to use one over the door, so that you will highlight your front entrance...usually a feature of your home.
I can`t count the number of times I`ve driven past homes where I can`t even see the door because of the bright lights..what a waste.
If you want wall fixtures, use 10 or 15 watt lamps, and let the recessed fixtures highlight your door.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 1:19AM
More Discussions
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
judydenver
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
Need help identifying chandelier
Hello, I recently saw a chandelier that I really liked,...
Sgreen
Disappointed with my LED recessed lights ... what now?
My LED recessed lights (Cree 6'' 2700K) were installed...
aussies
Sponsored Products
Overland Park 3-lt Semi Flush
LBC Lighting
ET2 Lighting E21303-10PC Inca Polished Chrome Pendant
Littman Bros Lighting
Jonathan Adler Meurice Collection Small Brass Pendant
Lamps Plus
Progress Lighting P5136-20 One-Light Mini-Pendant With Opal Etched Glass Shade
Progress Lighting
Capital Lighting Towne and Country Modern Contempo Chandelier
1800Lighting