lighting for low sloped ceiling

newbie2010October 27, 2010

we are in the middle of renovating two bedrooms for our young kids. we raised the floor of the main part of the rooms in order to match the rest of the house and smaller parts of the rooms. before raising the floor, the ceiling sloped from 7 feet to 9 feet. after floors were raised and leveled (it was very uneven floor!), it now slopes from a little over 6 feet to 8 1/2 feet, which i am scared is too low.

now our main problem is what type of lighting to use and where to place it?

rooms will roughly be 10x10 in addition to smaller areas near the closets. we can't do recessed lights. will track lighting work on sloped ceiling? or should we buy pendant lights and hang them off-centered so they are at least hitting closer to the higher part of the ceiling? i could not find any info or good pics on off-centering an overhead light. we gave up our hopes for ceiling fan when we decided to raise the floor, but now i'm regretting it. please help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

I understand what you're going through. Some years back I reworked a finished basement and ended up with low ceilings. At a friend's suggestion I installed recessed fixtures and regretted it ever after - the lighting was dim and shadowy.

If I were doing a low-ceiling room again, I'd probably just use one or two simple, low cost, low profile surface mount fixtures. At least then I'd get some indirect light to break up the shadows. I realize that might not look as good on a sloped ceiling, but I think any pendant is going to hang too low.

Davidtay may have some recommendations for LED panel lighting. It's going to be pricey, though.

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 1:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newbie2010

thanks for your message. i'm not sure surface mount will work because of how sloped our ceiling is. how about no overhead light and just using lamps? we could hook the main lamp to the light switch. does anybody with no overhead light in a bedroom regret it? the rooms will have two big windows so there will be lots of natural light.

i don't want to be kicking myself for not installing an overhead light, but i just can't picture any overhead light looking okay with the ceilings so low and slanted.

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Davidtay/Others - Recommended efficient T8 bulbs?
I'm hoping that davidtay will see this but would welcome...
oldbat2be
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™