Smelly Disposal...

sgrammerJanuary 17, 2014

Pretty frequently, my garbage disposal will begin to smell. Each time, I would pour baking soda and vinegar down it and it would smell fine for a few days but it would eventually come back. I've done this about 6 times already and it still comes back. It's just my wife and I and I don't think we put so much food down the sink to make it continuously smell. Does anyone know what else I can do besides the vinegar/baking soda mix to eliminate the smell?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

put a whole lemon through it. I think the vinegar and soda just goes down the drain. It might need something to get its teeth into.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 8:55PM
mic111

I put citrisolve down it and let it sit for a while before rinsing. You can also dilute it and flood with a pitcher of water and Citrasolv while running the disposal to make sure it gets to all the nook and crannies. Then let sit with full strength poured in there and the drain before rinsing. It is a great degreaser.
http://www.amazon.com/Citra-Cleaner-Degreaser-Concentrate-Valencia/dp/B004714LJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390010586&sr=8-1&keywords=citri+solv

I also use Bac Out. It is an enzyme cleaner so gets rid of bacteria that causes odors. You have to let it sit in there for it to work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bac Out

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:11PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Pull out the rubbery drain cover thingy and check the bottom of it--gunk will build up on it and smell really bad. You might also clean around where that rubbery drain cover thingy sits in the drain with cleanser.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:16PM
debrak2008

I didn't know for a year that the rubber gasket could be taken out to be cleaned.

Run a batch of ice cubes through it. Cleans the blades. Any citrus fruit I let sit for a while in the disposal before running.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:20PM
andreak100

If you haven't already, take the rubber gasket out to clean it - like Debra, I didn't know it was removable for a while. Gunk can build up there. I'm not certain if all GD have that gasket, but I think all InSinkErators do.

I also second the ice cubes along with citrus - a lemon, lime, or orange works quite well. I usually find that a lemon or lime (that I've squeezed most of the juice from for cooking, but you could use one with all the juice) along with 2 or 3 ice cubes does the trick.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:50PM
smiling

Years ago my wonderful plumber advised me to run a whole "tray" (2-4 cups) of ice cubes through the disposal about once a month, and it's been great ever since.

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 10:34PM
lazy_gardens

Don't let small batches of food sit in the disposal until "it's worth running".

That, and the cleaning suggestions.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 7:15AM
debrak2008

People tend to not run the GD long enough. I know I am guilty of that. I usually hit the switch for a few seconds, but once a day I will let it run longer. Also make sure you are letting the water run a bit AFTER you turn off the GD.

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 9:06AM
kailuamom

I am currently renting out the home where we did my beloved Reno in 2007. I say this because I'm quite particular about the kitchen condition when a tenant moves.

Anyway, the last tenants left and the sink smelled... Here's what I did....have a pitcher of ice handy, baking soda and vinegar.

I put baking soda and ice in layers,filling the disposal. I started the disposal running and as the ice was getting pulverized, I started drizzling the vinegar, which causes the foaming.

I did this process a couple of times. The first run, the ice got totall brown and nasty. The second run, not so bad. After that there was just some gunk high on the walls, so I purchased some nasty chemical foam. It worked,but I do prefer my home cleaners.

I don't know why the disposer was so nasty.... The prior tenants were there longer and did not seem to have the same issue...

Bookmark   January 18, 2014 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Specific stacked upper cab questions
I'm looking for input as I get closer to finalizing...
melis918
Anyone have Cambria Seagrove? Or Summerhill?
I have been GW lots lately trying to decide on countertops....
Lily Spider
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
kelleg69
Gap between backsplash and over-the-range microwave?
Hi, all. Does anyone have an over-the-range microwave...
hjs
What Is The Real Question Being Asked To 'What is Timeless'
I see this question so often on this forum, and I wish...
aloha2009
Sponsored Products
San Marco Mosaic Fire Pit / Beverage Cooler Table - 21-1338
Hayneedle
Cashmere Bunny Personalized Lullaby Diaper Cake - Twins - LDCTE-2 BOYS
$147.99 | Hayneedle
Thermocast Kitchen Wyndham Drop-in Acrylic 33x22x9.25 5-Hole Double Bowl
Home Depot
Nine Stars DZT-40-8 Touchless Stainless Steel 10.9 Gallon Trash Can - DZT-40-8
$59.99 | Hayneedle
10-oz. Tumblers
Grandin Road