need help! under cab lights will show - options?

babushka_catOctober 24, 2011

the cabinetmaker i hired has screwed up many things on my kitchen remodel. sadly, he is like the gift that keeps on giving. :(

the latest discovery: i provided the specs for the juno fluorescent under cab lights that my GC installs to ensure he built the recess deep enough to hide the lights. you guessed it, it is not deep enough. i have a 1" recess. from the dining room and livingroom I will see the light below. the cabs are all built and installed, nothing i can do about the cabinet construction now. trying to avoid adding trim to the bottom of my custom cabs, will not look good. juno lights not yet installed, wondering if i can find another model that is ultra thin to resolve this problem? junos are 1 1/6", this is set up as a hardwire install, the wire is hanging from the wall waiting for install.

what are my options for other ultra slim flourscent hard wired models? i was looking at the pegasus site T4s or T5's but it looked like they could not be hard wired - am i understanding that right? any other options? if i understand right ultra thin LED's are out because the wiring is already done, correct? in case this matters this is CA with strict title 24 rules, so needs to be fl or LED, cannot use any other products based on my light calculations.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

The eW profile powercore led strips from Philips can be used. They are .88 inch tall and are intended for direct wire.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 11:19PM
gardenpea_gw

I also have wires hanging from the walls and need a very thin light. Is it correct to say these have or can have an individual on/off switch as I will not have a central lightswitch to turn them all on/off at once. (I know, not good, but that's the way it is.) And they don't need any other kinds of boxes elsewhere?

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 11:26PM
David

These lights do not have individual on/off switches. If you intend to control each separately, you will need to get necessary line voltage switches and install them. The switches would most likely require individual boxes.

It might be more worthwhile to install a retrofit junction box for a central light switch and fish the necessary wire to it.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 12:36PM
David

If 1" tall fixtures are acceptable, the
Kichler LED Direct Wire Dimmable 12055 12056 12057 12058

have individual switches built in.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 12:40PM
babushka_cat

thanks david. i researched the light you suggest but it looks like i need a box for them to connect to which is taller than the 0.88 light itself? does not seem like a feasible option if i read right.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 11:02PM
David

There is a switched wiring compartment box which is 0.875" in height.

The UL listed black switched wiring compartment allows direct connection of romex or fexible conduit to the eW Profile Core.

There is another wiring compartment box which is 1.125" in height which you might have seen.

Here is a link that might be useful: eW Profile PowerCore product guide

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 11:54PM
David

The junction box need not be located on the cabinet underside.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
mtvhike
? Battery operated wall sconces and pic lighting
-Old plaster home w/lots of old wiring prevents us...
jejvtr
Rosette on slanted dining room ceiling?
Moved into a resale which has a dining room fixture...
Barb P
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
judydenver
Sponsored Products
Artcraft Lighting Andover Oil Brushed Bronze Five-Light 26'' Wide Chandelier
$424.00 | LuxeDecor
Beach Defined Light Box Lamp
$37.99 | zulily
Jet Set Giclee Brushed Steel Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Salonika Ikat Purple 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Rose Glass Shade Tiffany Beside Table Desk Lamps
ParrotUncle
5 in. White ShowerTrim w/Clear Fresnel Glass
PLFixtures
Surya Elements ELT-1003 5'3" x 7'6" Light Gray Rug
$222.00 | PlushRugs
Hand-tufted Wool Rust Morris Rug (4' x 6')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™