Light bulbs burning out prematurely in can lights

marti8aOctober 30, 2013

An electrician put in our lights so I assume they were installed correctly. There are 9 of these in the kitchen.

When they were installed last fall, we put in Utilitech fluorescent bulbs, at almost $9 per bulb but they had a lifetime guarantee. One by one this spring, they started burning out, and of course we can't find the receipt. But they have a lifetime guarantee. Shouldn't they last at least a few years?

Could we have an electrical problem, and how to check? I don't really want to pay an electrican $165 to come find out if we can do it easily. When we know what it is, THEN, we'll pay an electrician to do a fix.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

If you're using standard screw in cfl bulbs, being upside down in a can helps kill the bulb as the operating temp quickly rises above 50 degrees centigrade.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 12:09AM
marti8a

Isn't what those light bulbs are made for though? What kind of bulb would be better?

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 12:11AM
David

Cfl bulbs are generally not supposed to be operated in enclosed fixtures or upside down. At this point in time, lights like the cr6 are more affordable and actually work better. There's quite a discussion on those things in the recessed led lighting thread.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 12:22AM
twlkp76

If you have a volt meter check the voltage at the different fixtures. Especially at a "cold start situation."

We've had CFLs in our cans for years and although they seem to last longer than incandesants they do last 5 to 7 years (I date them with a magic marker when installing).
I have called the manufacturer and received a coupon for a replacement.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 3:33PM
marti8a

I've checked out the cr6 and they're fairly pricey. I like that they seal the can though. Can they be used on the same circuit as the CFL lightbulbs? It would be nice to spread out the cost as the CFL's burn out unless all on a circuit need to be done at the same time.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 10:45PM
marti8a

Lowes recently had a sale on these. Are they the same thing? The guy at Lowes didn't know.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 1:31PM
lee676

No. They use more power (though are a bit brighter) and since the specs say nothing about color rendition, probably won't give off as high quality light.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 1:46PM
David

The CR6 can be used on the same circuit as CFLs as long as there are no dimmers controlling the lights.

As Lee676 said, they are not the same thing as a Cree CR6.

The Sylvania RT6 is not the exact equivalent either.

LED lighting is more complicated than incandescent lighting where the light emitting part is a heated nichrome wire.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 1:46AM
marti8a

Where do you normally get the CR6?

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 4:41PM
David

Home Depot for the standard versions (575 or 625 lumen output). Online for the higher output / different color temp. e.g. - polar-ray.com, ...

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 7:34PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

I switched out 17 cans to the Utilitech LED retrofit. I'll never look back.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 8:36PM
More Discussions
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
texasgal47
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™