Is eclectic lighting style okay?

CurlyElleOctober 23, 2011

I just purchased a home built in the late 1950s. My style is pretty traditional and classic, which a touch of transitional, arts-and-crafts, and mission.

However, I'm finding myself being completely scattered when it comes to lighting choices.

I like mason jars with lightbulbs in them. I like mission pendants. I like sparkly chandeleirs.

How bad of an idea is it to mix and match lighting styles throughout a house? We'll be there for a while, but I'm keeping resale in mind.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

imo, I would use the style(s) that best match my needs/ fancies/ whims and enjoy the home.

Before selling, I would consult with a trusted realtor (or 2) and make the minimal changes necessary.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 8:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roadbike

You should design your house the way that you like because you are living there. Having more than one lighting style in various rooms is fine and actually makes a lot of sense IF the remaining furnishings in that room also go with it. For example I would not mix late 1950's modern monofilament lighting with arts and crafts furniture. Crystal chandeliers are pretty versatile and go with about any style furniture except the starkly modern.

You may want to engage the services of an interior decorator if you find it hard to stay with a theme in one room.

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?
GW, Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is...
AndrewDK
Alternative to pot/can lights
Spoke to my GC yesterday and he suggested that I use...
abbabug
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™