I'm Hating My LED Recessed Lights

LaurieOctober 11, 2010

My electrician installed the LED's into my recessed lights the other day. I absolutely hate them.

They are literally burning my eyes. I can't seem to get used to how bright they are.

Don't get me wrong. They light the room beautifully but, everytime my eyes drift upwards (and they do periodically) it is brighter than I can bear.

I remember having a discussion with him early on, about what type of cans, reflectors, to use. I specifically mentioned several of the ones which come up on this board and he said that for various reasons they were not needed in my application and that what he'd be using would work out well for me.

So much for trusting someone to know what they were doing :p

So, here I am with white cans, white reflectors, very nice looking mind you but I feel like I'm looking at the sun every time I turn them on. He didn't put in the dimmers yet, and I'm hoping this will help, but if not I have a very serious problem. I can't cook with blue spots floating in front of my eyes!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lightguy

Are they Halo cans?

Dimming is one option.
There might be some sort of accessory you can stick in front, but I don't know how likely that is.

I don't know how changing the reflector will affect things since the light is so glaring.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 7:44PM
normclc

your problem is not the level of light from the LED recessed lights, but rather the usef the white baffles that have been installed.
The introduction of the white baffle has destroyed more lighting designs that you can count.
Your eye is drawn to the "glare" created by the white baffle.
Replace the trims will clear alzak or haze trims and you'll be amazed with the difference

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 10:30PM
dim4fun

If they are Halo, some of the trims now offer a diffuser to help with the pinpoint source of light that blinds us. The LED array in a Halo is a bit larger than a postage stamp and too intense, even in peripheral vision.

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
? Battery operated wall sconces and pic lighting
-Old plaster home w/lots of old wiring prevents us...
jejvtr
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
Sponsored Products
Wilshire Park 16" High Bronze Outdoor Hanging Light
Lamps Plus
Artemis Wall Fixture
$72.00 | Bellacor
Estiluz | T-2752 Bent Flushmount
$645.00 | YLighting
Splugen Brau Pendant by Flos Lighting
$595.00 | Lumens
Balloon Lamp
$249.99 | Dot & Bo