help with position of recessed lighting

orangeskiesOctober 18, 2012

Hi -

We're are currently remodeling our kitchen and are tying to decide on recessed lighting placement. I've attached a pic of our layout. The recessed lighting will be the only lighting in the kitchen area (shown) with the exception of the hood light and some undercabinet lighting. There will also be pendants over the breakfast bar area that extends into the dining room but we only plan on using those when we're actually at the bar.

Can anyone make suggestions on the can placement? Do we have enough lights?

We want the cans all on one dimmable switch. Also, we are planning on going with 6" housing and are considering the Cree CR6s based on recommendations here, but don't live anywhere near a Home Depot. Are they really worth ordering online?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

The following link has more details and contains a link to a site to mockup light placement.

Here is a link that might be useful: recessed lighting guide

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 4:30PM
orangeskies

Thanks David. Your previous link is mainly the link that I used to come up with what I've got (thanks for that super helpful post) and from that link I had calculated that I am a little short on lumens. I already knew this but was trying to make it work I guess with just 6 cans.

Seems like we'll need to go with 8. Unfortunately, we only have room for 1 switch. Ideally, it seems like the middle two should be on a switch of their own to give me more options. Do you think all of them on 1 dimmable switch is too much? It would be a lot of extra work to get them on two switches.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 9:20AM
David

There should not be any issues with the dimmer. Each CR6 /RT6 consumes The center pair won't be illuminating counter space and wouldn't be that important.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
Better to over illuminate living room but add a dimmer?
187 square foot living room. electrician wants to install...
evanderleeuw
If we need to do smaller 3 inch recessed lights in a shower ....
Hi everyone, We are trying to work out if we can put...
ontariomom
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™