Meeting this Friday! Need advice

Karen15October 9, 2013

I have attached a picture of our master bathroom. This room is giving me a little trouble, but I want to be prepared before we have our meeting. Basically you walk in (pocket door) and there's a 72in double sink vanity on the right and a double linen closet next to that. Across from the vanity is a walk in shower with glass on one side. We will have a regular shower head on the entry side and a rainfall showerhead on the opposite end. Next to the shower on the other side of wall is the toilet. I'd like a recessed light in the shower in the center. Then do wall sconces (bars) on the sides of the mirrors (I think there's only room for 3). I'd also like a recessed light over the toilet area. Here's where I'm not sure. I've seen exhaust fans that have a light in them, so I'm thinking if we put that in the center we kill two birds in one stone by creating more light in the bathroom but also having a fan in it as well. Do we need recessed lights near vanity or will the sconces be bright enough (on a dimmer)? Or we can add two more recessed lights (one near closet and one near entry) and get a fan that has no light? I would like a switch for the recessed, a switch for the sconces and one for the fan/light. Although I don't think I want the fan to turn on every time. Any advice would be very helpful :) Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Karen15

I think a main question is..can you turn on an exhaust fan light without the fan coming on?

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 3:32PM
David

Yes it is possible for bath fans with separate circuits for the light and fan.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 8:39PM
armada

By code if you don't have a window in your bathroom the light and fan must turn on at the same time.

If you can separate them, my advice is this:
1 recessed over toilet area,
1 recessed in shower,
1 recessed over bath vanity area.

Be sure you have enough light with the toilet area to light the closet. My LED 6" from TCPi has a nice spread; similar to Cree CR6.

The fan/lights are noisier and less efficient than standalone units (I recommend Panasonic, not available at HD/Lowes). We just completed our Master Bath, and I installed 3 sconces, one 6" can over the walking area by vanity, one 4" can in walk in shower, and one 6" can in water closet (its closed off w/door). Two panasonic fans at 0.3 sones, are very quiet and work well.

-adam

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
judydenver
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
Disappointed with my LED recessed lights ... what now?
My LED recessed lights (Cree 6'' 2700K) were installed...
aussies
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
mtvhike
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™