wall mounted monorail recommendations, please

carolmlOctober 31, 2012

Our new kitchen has an island that needs lighting. The ceiling above the island transitions from an 8' ceiling to an 11' sloped, wood finished one. Lights will need to be mounted on the 3 foot vertical wall. We would like to direct lights down on the workspace and, on a separate circuit, up lights to highlight the wood ceiling. The down lights will probably need to go on outriggers of some sort in order to centre the light on the counter. We are looking for a monorail, led system. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

v2lightinggroup.com may have interesting led lights. You might find them on display @ some porcelanosa stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 11:02PM
carolml

davidtay - interesting looking lights but all individually mounted. I think we need a rail system that will allow some flexibility. Our run will actually go from kitchen through dining room - about 26' total. Most of the lights will be for ambiance but some will be task lighting over the kitchen counter. Who has the nicest monorail in your opinion?

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 1:17AM
David

Monorail systems will generally have lights of the same output intensity which makes it challenging to have some for ambient lighting and others for task (req higher intensity).

The other thing to remember is that monorails could require a fair amount of support (depending on the length and weight), which could mean additional wall mounting supports.

Get some inspiration from houzz.com for the style first.

Btw, the v2 lighting group also has a minimalistic bar light whichl could be strung out in a continuous line. It resembles a naked t8 fluorescent tube.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 1:11PM
carolml

davidtay - interesting looking lights but all individually mounted. I think we need a rail system that will allow some flexibility. Our run will actually go from kitchen through dining room - about 26' total. Most of the lights will be for ambiance but some will be task lighting over the kitchen counter. Who has the nicest monorail in your opinion?

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 2:45PM
David

How about having a 2 circuit monorail?

Here is a link that might be useful: Monorail lighting system

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 7:12PM
carolml

Thanks David for the links. I have been through numerous websites and agree that 2 circuit monorail is what we need. This company lists Tech and Edge components. Any recommendations on which would be the best?
Carol

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 12:14AM
David

No recommendations.

You'd need to figure out the total light output and the number of lights (and type) to use to achieve the desired light output to know if the system would work out in terms of current draw.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 5:43PM
carolml

Thanks!

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Dining Room Lighting - Pendant too large?
I would like to remove my 6-globe chandelier and replace...
cubby325
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™