Need track/pendant lighting over huge island, suggestions? PICS

try_hardOctober 16, 2008

I have a flat kitchen island that measures 4 feet by 9 feet. The sink is in the island. We use the countertop on either side of the sink for food prep. The other side of the island is a breakfast bar with 3 barstools, where we eat breakfast and dinner.

I have shopped exhaustively for a light fixture to go over this island and have not found one that I love. They are either too small or not bright enough or the wrong style for my house. I keep coming back to the idea of track lighting with multiple pendants shining light on the breakfast bar side of the island and the sink/workspace side of the island. I want alot of light here - the intensity and quality of task lighting, really. We would like to put a dimmer on the light so that we can turn it up when prepping food or reading a magazine on the counter and turn it down when we don't need as much light.

I've seen examples of track pendants that have a curved rail on the ceiling and some with straight tracks/rails. Most of them are more contemporary in appearance than I need.

Does anyone have any suggestions of lights to consider or photos that could provide inspiration?

For your reference, I have included photos of my kitchen. You will notice some track pendants above the island - they are a disaster. They are from Pottery Barn and broke as they were being installed and don't give off enough light. That is the fixture I'm trying to replace.

My kitchen table light fixture:

Thank you!

Try_Hard

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cathrugg

Hi Try_Hard,

Here is a picture of our island track lighting. We had an awful time trying to find a light due to the light not being centered either the long way or the width way. Our kitchen is not modern at all but the track lighting fits in, in my opinion.

Our kitchen makeover was in progress in these pics.

Hope this helps.
Cathrugg

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 11:53AM
susiebrown

Try Hard,
Can't answer your question, but was wondering what wall color and type floors you have in this area, particularly the dining area. I think they are both just what I'm looking for! Thanks!!

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 10:30AM
egrigby

We did not intend to go really modern, but we went with a Hubbardton Forge fixture. The problem is, that collectively we hated every pendant out there. I would think one was "ok" and the husband would hate it, and vice versa.

We both really liked this one, it went well with our home, and in the end, though it seems modern, it goes with our style.

We chose:

You can find pics of our kitchen and our giant island (Over 50 square feet of granite in the island alone) here..http://mobilecad.smugmug.com/gallery/4396388_PN5KC#P-1-15

Hubbardton Forge does have lots of other options that are not modern as they do all hand forged steel and iron items.

Laney

Here is a link that might be useful: Hubbardton Forge

Bookmark   November 7, 2008 at 3:51PM
bwibby

Have you looked at the pendant lighting from Alluminare? They have a large selection of shapes and sizes and you get to design the color/pattern/fabric yourself.

Beautiful kitchen, by the way!

Here is a link that might be useful: Alluminare

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 6:25PM
disenay

Try hard, where did you purchase the chandelier over your kitchen table. I love it.

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 8:59PM
dallasbill

We used hanging pendants made by Roost. They only sell to wholesalers who then retail them. We bought ours locally, via our builder, from a design center so got a deal.

Don't know hwat you can find in your area, but I have provided an online link below. We also used the Edison-reproduction, multi-filament bulbs they show in the pic. They are about 11 bucks each w/ shipping, but look waaaaaaay cool, esp. when dimmed, and provide all the light you need when at full power. If you go that way, order some spares. We have not had a burnout in 4 years, but we do not use them daily.

Also, we did not want a track sitting across our ceiling to steal the eye away from the task lighting hanging below.

Close-up of pendant:
http://www.velocityartanddesign.com/details.php?classid=2575&productid=20072&defval=images_products/20072-Cylinder_det.jpg&title=

Edison bulb:
http://www.antiquelampsupply.com/product/3690

This isn't the greatest pic, but will give you and idea what they look like on our large island. There is seating for 3 on the right side of the L.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roost retailer link

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 11:19AM
cakewalker

Try_hard: I have almost the exact same setting as you do. Same chairs, large island (12 X 3) and the exact same chandelier - My main dining area is open to the great room just like yours and I am trying to find the 'right' pendant. Can you show me/tell me what you decided on? My general contractor is bugging me to pick something out so the electrician can hang it!

I'd appreciate any info...

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
Is it ok to install ceiling lights in the slab itself?
I'm getting a new house built and trying to figure...
pursuitofhome
Durable Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
I would like some recommendations on quality, durable...
happs
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™