Porch light .. Dusk to Dawn not working

deb963October 17, 2012

I need some help with my Outdoor porch light dusk to dawn sensor is not functioning... The light stays on but not turning on at night or turning off at morning.. It has worked before but now just gave out.... What do i need to check or buy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
matildajane

The glass/plastic that covers the light sensor on the front of an outdoor light can become so dirty that the sensor can't distinguish light from dark. If you unscrew that disc and gently clean it (no harsh chemicals!), you stand a strong chance that the light will again work as it should. If it doesn't, it's possible the sensor has gone bad although that isn't likely. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 2:54PM
deb963

Is this located on the inside or outside plastic youre talking about? If it is the sensor, is on the inside.. Please Help.. Im green to this...lol..

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 3:13PM
matildajane

The light sensor is usually located on the front of the light housing between two lights or underneath (or on top of) a single light. The sensor is covered by a round quarter-sized disc. The disc usually has a rough edge to facilitate unscrewing (lefty=loosie, righty=tighty). I didn't shut off the electricity to remove the clear plastic/glass disc, cleaning it and replacing it. If your light doesn't conform to this description, then submit a photo if you can. Alternatively, you might want to web browse the manufacturer's site for instructions.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 8:57PM
chibimimi

Are you sure no one double-flicked the light switch inside? This is only if you have the kind of lighting that goes to automatic when you turn it on once, but to "permanent on" when you turn it on, off, on quickly.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
Lighting for small walk in closet
Hello, We are about ready to build our master closet....
Anthony
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
looking for some direction choosing leds for family room
I want to add some recessed led lights to the family...
gwald
Pixi Lighting
Has anyone used the pixi lighting yet? It seems like...
stlblufan
Need advice regarding Halo LED recessed lights!
So, our new house is almost finished - it's our first...
Nick Anderson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™