help with number, spacing, placement recessed LED lights

gwnoviceOctober 17, 2008

We are redoing our kitchen and have had wildly differing recommendations for the number of recessed lights to be installed. We need to be Title 24 compliant, so we will be using the 6" Cree LED lights (LR6). Our kitchen is roughly 11 by 15 feet with 24 inch deep base cabinets and 12 inch wall cabinets. We also plan to have fluorescent undercabinet lights. We don't want to have the kitchen too bright like aussies did.

I would like to hear your recommendations regarding the number, spacing, as well as the placement of the LR6 recessed lights.

Thanks in advance! Here is a rough drawing:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gwnovice

I forgot to add that the ceiling is 9 feet.

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 3:01AM
teddas

How bout a real stretched out "stop sign" design with 10 lights total. 6 in middle with 2 flanking each end...

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 8:23PM
gwnovice

To get an idea of how bright the lights are, I replaced the 2 existing recessed can incandescent bulbs with the GU-24 Cree LR-6 lights. The output is pleasant, but not overwhelming. We'll see how the kitchen looks after the fluorescent tubes are removed and the LR-6s are installed in their final configuration (still TBD)--we're thinking of just putting in 6 (3 on one wall, 2 on the other, 1 in the middle. The existing cans will be replaced by pendants.

Bookmark   November 4, 2008 at 9:49PM
amysrq

I have four running around the corner of an 11 x 7 L-shaped array of cabinets with eight foot ceilings. I didn't bother with a dimmer, because I have been led to believe they just don't work yet. I don't find the light glaring or too bright. The electrician thought it would be and I was afraid after Aussie's experience. Overall, I am very happy.

I don't have a pic to share, but if you want me to post one, I will take a pic when I am at the house again.

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 10:08AM
More Discussions
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
looking for some direction choosing leds for family room
I want to add some recessed led lights to the family...
gwald
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™