Wait: why do the UCL's have to be dimmable?

aliris19October 8, 2011

Is this a subjective thing? Why do UCLs have to be dimmable? Wouldn't it depend on the specifics of your kitchen, e.g., countertop color, type of ambient and task lighting? Overall brightness? Work surfaces?

That is, I'm thinking I can get away without dimmers because I will have good overhead light, and really only UCLs in three places. When they might be used it would be to boost brightness to max; I'm not sure why I'd want UCL's anything less than max: that's their purpose in this context at least? Most of my prep doesn't happen in the vicinity of UCLs anyway.

I do have low-light night-light type lighting possibility on the hood which has instead of heat lamps, some low-Watt CFLs.

I guess another function is to illuminate the backsplash, but there again I should think you'd want to maximize light.

I remember reading someone explaining why they wanted dimmable UCLs but I'm wondering whether under these circumstances it might make sense to skip it. I think that person liked to have dim "mood" lighting, if you will, while not cooking. If that's not a goal, is it agreed that dimming might be expendable?

Also, dimming could be added later if it turns out life is about to cease without it, right?

TIA.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidro1

UCL = undertheupperCabinet Lighting (?)
UCL = under-Wall-Cabinet Lighting (?)
This might be a standard term for kitchen designers.

I have thin tube fluorescent T5 that shine down and also up into the wall cabinets (through a frosted glass bottom in the wall cabinet). No dimmers. I turn them on when I want an operating room laboratory.

If you have LED lights, get a dimmer.

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 7:41AM
David

Dimming is useful by allowing you to set the output depending on need - full brightness for cooking, prep, cleanup, ...
Medium/ Low when the space is not fully utilized, but one may make unscheduled visits to pick up/ drop off things.
If the kitchen is open to the rest of the living space, dimming could be utilized to match the mood in the rest of the place.
It's all a personal choice.
If you intend to have the option of dimming later, you need to get dimmable lighting.

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 10:35AM
brickeyee

"Why do UCLs have to be dimmable?"

Because you do not need them at full intensity all the time.

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
thoughts on WAC Lighting LEDme Pro Light Bars
title says it all - any feedback on this brand and...
lmgch
Bedroom Lighting Advice?
I just came up with a first draft for lighting in our...
schicksal
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Sponsored Products
Bramble - Provence Queen Bed Set in White - 24151
Great Furniture Deal
Everett Espresso Entryway Cubbie Shelf
Overstock.com
Carnevale Fondali Aqua Rondo Wall Sconce by Oggetti Luce
$402.00 | Lumens
Championsline 5-step Ladder
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
Carlotta Outdoor Rug 3'5" x 5'5" - NAVY/ORANGE/GREEN
$99.00 | Horchow