New fan cannot use double wall switches

susanelewisOctober 3, 2010

I researched this fan quite extensively but I was misled by an online retailer (can we use names here?) who said that the MinkaAire Concept II could use my dual wall switches. Well, it is not true. It can only be wired to one wall switch and the remote dims the lights and adjusts the fan speed/reverses blade rotation. There is no way to separate the fan from the light as I did with the previous fan that had two separate pieces. Logic dictates that the wall switch on the new fan actually talks through the receiver in the fan which controls both functions.

It is maddening that online sites so easily give out the wrong information. Now I have a non-functional switch. My husband suggested using the switch to control a wall sconce which is a great idea. However, I want to replace other fans (as they die) with integrated light fans (no more noisy light kits, please) and wonder if they all work this way.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
housavvy

They do not all work that way.

If I'm not mistaken you can bypass the receiver on that fan and use your dual light/fan switch.

If you don't use the handheld remote a physical switch is much more responsive, and there are no batteries to worry about.

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 4:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanelewis

My husband said you could bypass the receiver if he tore into the fan, but then there would be no way to change fan speeds/dim the lights or reverse the blades. There are no exterior switches/pulls actually on the fan.

You are so right about the responsiveness. My son uses the wall switch to turn on the fan/light initially. There is definitely a delay but it's not substantial. I guess I'll have to do my homework more next time.

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Quality of LED fixtures from different manufacturers
Hello! Does anyone know how LED light fixtures from...
linae
Transitional design lighting
Should light fixtures "match" in transitional...
sheepco4
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™