Please recommend sources for light switches

linda_utahOctober 17, 2010

We're building a new home and we are the contractors. The rough-in electrical is in. We need to wire the lights and switches. Would prefer dimmer switches. We are using incandescent in all fixtures. Some are single pole and some are 3 way. Of course, all plugs (regular and gfci), cable, and phone need trim installed.

Could you recommend online sources of these components? I've found some, but the prices have me cringing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaskitchentoo

I bought most of my switches and dimmers from the link below. They seemed to have the best price and selection. But you'll find like I did that dimmers and switches and GFCI's add up. If you want custom colors theyget really pricey. I found that the Almond color is fairly interchangable between Lutron and Leviton. These can be bought in the big box stores so down the road if you need a replacement they would be readily available. Lutron did not have a dual switch in the Decroa style, I bought a Leviton (or maybe Cooper?) from a big box store and it matches perfectly.

btw, the Meastro dimmers are excellent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Union Lighting

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 4:34AM
willtv

Try contractorlighting.com. They have great prices on all sorts of electical fixtures and gear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Contractor Lighting

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 12:13AM
numbersjunkie

I used Mr. Supply. Best prices I could find and my Lutron dimmers and switches arrived the day after I placed the order - with free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mr Supply

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 8:08AM
roadbike

Home Depot will have much better prices than the local hardware store. Returns and finding the switches and plates you forgot will be easier than online.

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 11:08AM
brickeyee

"Home Depot will have much better prices than the local hardware store."

And they will be glad to sell you bottom of the barrel low quality switches, dimmers, and receptacles.

I think they keep a few higher priced ones around just to take the cheap ones look like a bargain.

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 9:26AM
roadbike

Not from what I've seen. Maybe you would care to tell us how you know the Leviton switches and switchplates are bottom of the barrel in other words the worst possible quality.

The local hardware stores sell the same switches and other components with the same sku's as those from Home Depot and Lowes. Maybe you have found that they are selling a lower qualkity line but using the same model and sku numbers. If so I'm sure FTC would like some examples.

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 9:53AM
numbersjunkie

I don't know about the big box stores selling cheaper versions of the models they do carry, but they simply did not have the models I needed - LV electronic for example. Their colors were also very limited.

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 9:56AM
DavidR

In my area the larger electrical jobbers usually match or beat the big box stores' prices on most items. They also carry many more products. The big box folks will tell you straight out that if an item isn't a top tier popular seller, they won't stock it.

IMO the only reason to go to the big box stores is that they're open evenings and weekends, and most of the jobbers aren't.

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
Rosette on slanted dining room ceiling?
Moved into a resale which has a dining room fixture...
Barb P
Durable Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
I would like some recommendations on quality, durable...
happs
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
Quality of LED fixtures from different manufacturers
Hello! Does anyone know how LED light fixtures from...
linae
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™