Will 2 pendants w/60-watt bulbs be enough for a bathroom?

cinnamonsworldSeptember 18, 2010

It's not a large bathroom. Thinking of two of these high up in front of the edges of the mirror at a 48"-wide vanity. besides that in the room, there's a toilet, a bathtub alcove that doesn't need a lot of light, and a small strip of floor space.

Do you think bathrooms need at least a 100-watter? (I don't recall whether light is really additive, like whether 2 60-watt bulbs are as good or better than a 100-watt bulb for light.)

Prior there was a 6-strip 'Hollywood light' - the kind with the little makeup bulbs - shrouded by a white translucent thing. That gave off a LOT of light. Most of the time I kept it dimmed.

Here is a link that might be useful: 10

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macv

Be careful, a pendant light is not allowed within a certain distance of a bathtub by the NEC.

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 5:35PM
DavidR

Assuming we're talking incandescents, a single 100 watt lamp will produce about as much light as two 60 watt lamps, while using 20 fewer watts.

FWIW, I use two 15 watt compact fluorescents (equivalent to 60 watt) in my small bathroom, and it's plenty. However, my fixtures don't have a dark shade, which your fixture appears to have. (Seems counterproductive, doesn't it?)

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 2:34AM
cinnamonsworld

It's more than 3' from the tub.

Yes, my fixture has a dark shade. :) The rest of the bathroom is black. It'll work I think, just be a little more directional. (If it doesn't, moving on to Edison lights and steam punk.)

I was wondering if CFLs run cooler such that you can use a 100w CFL bulb where a 60w incandescent is the max rating. I wasn't sure about that but had heard that with LED bulbs that are 60w, they've been tending to look quite a bit brighter according to some people on this forum. Might try those.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Bulkhead pots in teeny bathroom
I'm so not a lighting expert! What's the forum members'...
Studio Design
Recessed Surface lights vs. Cans
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between...
linae
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
Sylvania vs. EcoSmart retrofit
I have seen these two brands compared many times with...
linae
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™