Advice for bathroom vanity lighting fixtures for small office?

smiles33September 1, 2012

Hello! I know many here are mostly choosing lighting options for home, but I really respect gardenweb experts and thought I'd ask here for advice about new lighting fixtures in my husband's office complex.

He owns a small business and it was last decorated in the 1980s (e.g., ugly fluorescent lighting). There are 2 over-the-mirror lighting fixtures I'd like to replace as part of a larger "refreshing" effort. We are hoping to avoid any major electrical/plumbing work so I'm not going to get the side-of-the-mirror fixtures which I know cast better light.

One of the fixtures is in an alcove and will be on at least 8-9 hours/day while the other one is likely only going to be turned on when someone enters the bathroom. They are adjacent to one another so I figured it might make sense to just get 2 identical fixtures, but maybe it's worth spending a little more on the one that will be on the entire time?

We are on a budget, so I'm hoping to keep the total cost of 2 fixtures between $200-$300. Yet we also want these to last for at least 10 years, at which time he plans to do a major remodel. So please tell me if you think this is unreasonable.

When I started looking at some websites for options, I found plenty of halogen bulb models but I've read here already that those can get hot and use a lot of energy. I looked at lampsplus.com, Amazon, bellacor, etc. I immediately ruled out the traditional styles, as I don't think they look "professional" enough in an office setting. Contemporary seems to make more sense but I'm just not sure what I should be prioritizing when reviewing all these options.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dandylandy

Please post a photo of the space and I'm sure a lot of people will weigh in.

In that price range, Home Depot has lots of vanity lights in the $75 - 150 range(e.g. 3 or 4 lights ones like this give LOTS of light) - http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=100468235&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-1-_-202217436-_-100468235-_-N#.UEu5go1lRNs

Good luck - a photo of the space would be really helpful!

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 5:33PM
smiles33

Thanks for the reply. When I saw no one initially respond, I went ahead and just bought these off bellacor.

1) Kichler Lege Brushed Nickel Three Light fixture (it was on clearance for $109 but is back up to $218) for the narrow alcove.

The Canarm Lyndi Brushed Nickel Four-Light Vanity Light for the bathroom (also $109). I decided to go with a wider fixture since the bathroom is bigger. The 3 light fixture just seemed too narrow at 23" wide (compared to 30" for this 4 light one).

And this Designers Fountain Brushed Nickel Flush Mount with Milk Acrylic Lens ($68 on clearance) for the overhead light in the bathroom:

I figured the brushed nickel/contemporary look would work and made sure the bulbs weren't halogen (the overhead one is a T9 fluorescent bulb).

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 12:28AM
dandylandy

Oh, those are great - they look very nice together and I'm sure will really enhance the room!

Congrats on such good prices, too!

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Accent Eyeball lighting for Artwork
Any recommendations for size and type of eyeball light?...
lake72
If we need to do smaller 3 inch recessed lights in a shower ....
Hi everyone, We are trying to work out if we can put...
ontariomom
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
Help with different types of LED recessed lighting please!
Can someone explain the basic differences in the different...
Michelle
Better to over illuminate living room but add a dimmer?
187 square foot living room. electrician wants to install...
evanderleeuw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™